Black Locust and Sugar Maple score from tree service.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Last week I got about a 2 cords of Black Locust & a huge Sugar Maple for free from tree service working three doors down.

90% Already cut to firewood size length.

I have split almost 3 truck loads thus far.

As I was splitting yesterday I look up and a guy is standing in front of me.

It was another tree service working in the area. He asked me if I would like more wood? :lol:

I said sure as long as its hardwood cut 16"to 18", no buggy punk, junk, softwood, or wood chips.

He said no problem!

Hope this pans out for me.

30rqkx4.jpg

Hiram Maxim said:
I said sure as long as its hardwood cut 16"to 18", no buggy punk, junk, softwood, or wood chips.
He said no problem!
Next time, see if he'll de-bark it for you. :lol:
Wow, nice score, it doesn't get much easier than that. No idea what kind of wood he's bringing?

Woody Stover said:
Hiram Maxim said:
He said no problem!
Next time, see if he'll de-bark it for you. :lol:
Wow, nice score, it doesn't get much easier than that. No idea what kind of wood he's bringing?

De-bark would be nice! %-P

I told him I'd take Ash,Hickory, Oak, Sugar Maple, Osage Orange,Cherry, Walnut, Elm, Beech, Black Locust or any other hardwood.

I'm going to assume it will be mostly White Ash. There is a ton of standing dead White Ash in this region.
I live smack dab in the middle of suburbia and most people, want any wood that's been cut, off their property by tree services.

And the tree services have to haul it and most pay to dump it in the land fill. Win/Win for both of us.

No not much easier....

Cheers,Hiram

Wow, what a ground score Hiram. Heading off to work now feeling inadequate with my stash of mostly silver maple, elm, etc that I had to truck myself...

Very Nice... Also very nice home in the background. I have the same Supercrew Ford, Love that truck. Mine is Silver w Dark Grey at the bottom.

Hiram Maxim said:
Last week I got about a 2 cords of Black Locust & a huge Sugar Maple for free from tree service working three doors down.

90% Already cut to firewood size length.

I have split almost 3 truck loads thus far.

As I was splitting yesterday I look up and a guy is standing in front of me.

It was another tree service working in the area. He asked me if I would like more wood? :lol:

He said no problem!

Hope this pans out for me.

I would suggest stacking the locust separately from the rest. It will be ready sooner and with the highest BTU's.

30rqkx4.jpg

I'd definitely rather have my own woodlot, but there are some advantages to being a land-less scrounger in suburbia.

Hiram, that is a great score! Congratulations. And others can also see that you split the natural way; vertically.

Thanks guys....still lots of work.

If my calculations are correct I won't burn this wood until Winter 2015-2016 :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram, that is a great score! Congratulations. And others can also see that you split the natural way; vertically.

I dont see a milk crate

PapaDave said:
I can be down there in about 4 hours. See 'ya in a bit....K?
:cheese:

That's a long drive for just wood? ;-P

But if your really want some......come on down.

weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I dont see a milk crate

:lol:
You'll be happy to note that I did not use the milk crate this year. Wife bought a small step stool and I used that and it was a bit easier on the new hip. Getting as low as needed on the crate I did not think was too good of an idea. It worked okay.

Well the same tree service guys came back and dropped off more Sugar Maple and Black Locust.....only this time they are cut into 8'to 10' foot lengths. :coolsmirk:

Still free so I can't complain, just gonna have to fire up the saw. ;-)

Everything right of the garbage cans is new. good sized logs?

From what the tree guy told me it was all dead standing.

28s4rhf.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I dont see a milk crate

You'll be happy to note that I did not use the milk crate this year. Wife bought a small step stool and I used that and it was a bit easier on the new hip. Getting as low as needed on the crate I did not think was too good of an idea. It worked okay.

By the way how is the new hip working for you?

[quote author="Hiram Maxim" date="1307115897"]Last week I got about a 2 cords of Black Locust & a huge Sugar Maple for free from tree service working three doors down.

Nice score, can't get much better then that.

Zap

If it gets to be too much to handle just let me know! :lol:

One of the downsides of living where everyone burns wood, very rarely does it come up locally. Most people having tree's removed either know someone or burns wood themselves. Most of the local tree services(maybe all) sell wood so that doesn't help.

Hiram Maxim said:
Backwoods Savage said:
weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I dont see a milk crate

It is coming along much better now Hiram and thanks for the concern. I am finding out though that it is a big difference getting both sides done vs only one side. I've lost a lot of strength but hope to get a bit more back. Most of the pain is now gone too so that is a big help.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Backwoods Savage said:
weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I dont see a milk crate

It is coming along much better now Hiram and thanks for the concern. I am finding out though that it is a big difference getting both sides done vs only one side. I've lost a lot of strength but hope to get a bit more back. Most of the pain is now gone too so that is a big help.

I'll bet your strength comes back slowly over time, at least that has been my post surgical experience. If your able to get back on your bike I would imagine that would help?

rdust said:
If it gets to be too much to handle just let me know! :lol:

One of the downsides of living where everyone burns wood, very rarely does it come up locally. Most people having tree's removed either know someone or burns wood themselves. Most of the local tree services(maybe all) sell wood so that doesn't help.

Will do! :)

Yeah I'm a minority in this area. But if you travel 20 minutes down the road in Fall/Winter people are certainly heating with wood.

But all of my wood has come virtually free (Beer) from tree services or off my own property.

Hope all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.