black soot on Quadrafire 7100 after gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
My husband has replaced the door gaskets for our Quadrafire 7100. We are now getting black soot on the glass, primarily between the upper and lower hinges. He used .5" gasket around the doors. Any ideas as to why? BTW we cannot lock the handle down into a full horizontal position as yet, but if that were the reason, why would the other door be affected?
We also don't know when, or if, we should replace the gasket between the door frame and the glass.
Thank you for your help.
Charlene Kravec

Can you post a picture of the soot on the glass and another of the gasket in the location of the soot?

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I had cleaned the glass, then we had a warm spell.
So, the answer seems to have been that the problem was where the gasket was seating where the ends meet. There was some tape over the end of the gasket. Once that burned off and I used my finger to reseat that portion of the gasket, problem resolved itself. It was a reseating issue and we are now able to turn the handle completely down into the locked position, which we couldn't before.
Boy, changing the gasket has really made a big difference in the performance in the stove. Probably should have done it sooner.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear it's working a lot better now.