black stove pipe baked on Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flapper

Hello all,

Have a question about black stove pipe.. Do you need to remove the baked on creosote from it?
If so how do you go about doing it. I have used the round type brush on the black stove pipe to
get off as much as the loose creosote but that very thin layer of the baked on stuff seems fused on.

- Pacific energy Summit Classic

Thank you, Flapper

Solid, baked-on deposits are a bad sign- that the pipe is running too cold, and that (likely) the fire is running too cold.
IOW, something is very wrong with how the stove is running, or with its design.

I'd suggest:
Shorter hotter fires (check pipe temp with magnetically attached thermometer.) Get temp to 350-400deg. F. for a bit, regularly.
Don't overload firebox and/or go for long, smoldering fire; feed more frequent, smaller batches.
Start fire top-down. Really reduces smoke (thus particulates, thus creosote) during startup. During startup, allow extra
draft (e.g. door cracked open) until pipe above stove gets up to temp. (e.g. 300deg F)
Dry out your wood indoors for some days near the stove before burning.

Then, after the above has softened up deposits after some months, you should be able to remove them easily.

First thing you need to do is stop burning wood that hasn't been seasoned for AT LEAST a year split and at least 2 years for oak. That would help. If it is glazed on black creosote, you need to call a certified chimney sweep and get it removed. If not a fire could be eminent.

Unless you have a 10' run of horizontal stove pipe, then there is no excuse to have creosote like that in your pipe. Turn it up, my man! As to your query: yes get it out! It will swell many times it's size if you overheat it, thus plugging your pipe, potential for the disaster that is probably your chimney to spew smoke back or ignite if the pipes touch off. Clean out the pipes, burn them out in the yard if ya got to (or replace), have your chimney cleaned, and use liberal doses of A.C.S spray for the heating season.

Random thoughts . . .

Baked on creosote -- often appearing shiny -- should be removed . . . if for no other reason that it is potential unburned fuel that if ignited by too hot a temp in the flue can result in a serious chimney fire.

To remove it . . . you can go with the quick and fast solutions (i.e. burn it out in your yard, replace or hire a professional chimney sweep who will not only brush the chimney but treat it with a solution to chemically scrub the creosote) or you can go with a long-term solution which would involve spraying your own solution and brushing the chimney on a much more frequent basis.

Of course the long-long term solution is to a) burn seasoned wood, b) burn at the proper temps (and I would highly suggest getting a flue thermometer if you do not have one already) and c) clean the chimney on a more regular basis.

Just cleaned the chimney and noticed that there is a region of the "shiny, baked on" deposits the last 6" near the cap. Is this a problem? Class A chimney and a very steep, high roof.

I would treat the creosote with a product called "Anti Creosote" or "ACS" Available thru any decent fireplace shop. dont go for the powders and logs you see in the big box stores. Its easy to use. Just build a small hot fire and spray about 20 pumps into the flame. Let it burn for a few hours, cool down, then try cleaning the stove pipe and chimney. Most of the glaze "should" be dried and ready to flake off by then.

flapper said:
Hello all,

Have a question about black stove pipe.. Do you need to remove the baked on creosote from it?
If so how do you go about doing it. I have used the round type brush on the black stove pipe to
get off as much as the loose creosote but that very thin layer of the baked on stuff seems fused on.

- Pacific energy Summit Classic

Thank you, Flapper

We use this just to be on the safe side, I think this works. Here are some pictures of the inside single wall pipe before the cleaning and after.

http://saversystems.com/chimney-products/acs-anti-creo-soot

zap

Attachments

• 100_1864.jpg
    100_1864.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_1865.jpg
    100_1865.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 353
  • 100_1870.jpg
    100_1870.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 400