black walnut - yellow inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjoseph

Sep 17, 2013
omaha, ne
I have started cutting and stacking wood in the house we just moved into. I am starting with the standing dead timber, we have maybe 40 or so of those. I'm wanting to cut the wood first I csn burn immediately.

In two black walnut trees so far there are parts of the wood that is bright yellow. Almost flourescent.

Why is this? Is it safe, or ready, need more time, or what?

Used the search on here and googled it and sm not coming up with it. Heres a photo also. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20131010_161249.jpg
    20131010_161249.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 20131010_161313.jpg
    20131010_161313.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 1,899
Looks like Mulberry....much better than Black Walnut. :)

Reactions: Jon1270
Are you positive those yellow pieces are from the walnut tree? In fact, are you sure any of that is Walnut? Here's what all the black walnut I've ever cut looks like:

logs_black_walnut2.jpg

I have started cutting and stacking wood in the house we just moved into. I am starting with the standing dead timber, we have maybe 40 or so of those. I'm wanting to cut the wood first I csn burn immediately.

In two black walnut trees so far there are parts of the wood that is bright yellow. Almost flourescent.

Used the search on here and googled it and sm not coming up with it. Heres a photo also. Thanks for any advice.

welcome AJ Congrats on the house! That yellow stuff looks like black locust, maybe mulberry to me... maybe a locust and walnut were side by side? Any leaf/bark pics of nearby living trees of similar form?

I don't know about burning that yet, regardless. . Maybe next year. Others will chime in, but maybe Standing ash may be almost burnable for this year. Most wood needs a year to dry at least.

welcome AJ Congrats on the house! That yellow stuff looks like black locust, maybe mulberry to me... maybe a locust and walnut were side by side? Any leaf/bark pics of nearby living trees of similar form?

, I don't know about burning that yet, regardless. . Maybe next year. Others will chime in, but maybe Standing ash may be almost burnable for this year. Most wood needs a year to dry at least.

Thanks for the replies!
I guess irs very possible it isn't black walnut. That's what I just assumed because almost all of them are black walnut on the property. Now that I'm thinking about it the yellow pieces came off two trees that already came down on their own.

I've been discarding the softest portions - from the very top and bottom. And parts that were resting on the ground.

I was pretty sure I would be able to burn the fully dead standing timbef this year safely. I am starting with ones that have the bark mostly gone or totally gone. Is this accurate?

Depends on moisture content. A Moisture meter may be in order, as well as frequent cleaning of the flue liner this winter. If you post your stove / liner/chimney setup in your signature, the pros here can help you stay safe. I was in your shoes 2 winters back, these guys set me straight, don't get discouraged.

My first year i burned a lot of similar dead, but not well- dried locust, and had to clean my liner a few times. It was the driest stuff i had on hand. Second winter was better but still had a bit of creosote to deal with. Good luck!

The darker pieces are mulberry also. The fresh split is mulberry definitely. Zooming it up, the barkless wood is all mulberry. That's a good thing. Burns great.

The bark on that piece beneath your hand looks like Mulberry but I don't know if that's the same wood. I'd say that the downed dead ones with the bark off may well be ready to go. Standing deads with bark off may also be ready, especially if they are small in diameter.

I don't know about burning that yet, regardless. . Maybe next year. Others will chime in, but maybe Standing ash may be almost burnable for this year. Most wood needs a year to dry at least.

I cut, split and burned about 2 cord of standing dead locust late last winter... it was dead at least 3 years, and would literally light with a lit wooden match laid on it... aside from a few random sticks that just wouldn't burn... it would drive you out of the dining room...

I am happy to say I've got a couple cord of the same stand that's had almost a year to season... we'll see how it goes..

Reactions: osagebow
Hehe... I had full trunks much larger than that turned into firewood, after Sandy, last year! The mills were so overrun, they had no interest / were turning it away. My firewood stack would bring tears to the eyes of any woodworker. ;lol

Btw... my house has some walnut floor joists, and most of the millwork (baseboards, door casings) appears to be walnut... all painted, tho.

I'll defer to the experts, but I split some great black locust earlier this year and the smell is very distinct. If you get a fresh, almost Dr. Pepper smell that's black locust. Hope that helps!

If it is mulberry it wont say yellow for long, turns brown in a short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.