blanketing the pipe vs not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What is the ID of the clay liner?

What stove will be connected to this liner?

i dont know what the ID is. if its something id have to get on the roof to find out id have to wait until the new guy comes wednesday hahaha. i dont do heights....which in this case may be a good thing or id do the job myself hahaha. its my one crippling weakness in life!

the new stove will be a englander madison but under the summers heat name. i imagine any new stove requires a 6 inch pipe otherwise id be close to saying ill just sock more into the stove and leave my chimney alone!

hearing that this should be a job in the 2500 range does make me feel better. wherein the 1300 price tag sounded awesome -- he came out first -- my gut told me i needed to keep looking and i called the next guy.

house built in 1984. clay liner is 8x12 OD

Or just leave it alone and install a modern pipe chimney somewhere else.

i dont know what the ID is. if its something id have to get on the roof to find out id have to wait until the new guy comes wednesday hahaha. i dont do heights....which in this case may be a good thing or id do the job myself hahaha. its my one crippling weakness in life!

the new stove will be a englander madison but under the summers heat name. i imagine any new stove requires a 6 inch pipe otherwise id be close to saying ill just sock more into the stove and leave my chimney alone!

house built in 1984. clay liner is 8x12 OD
The Madison will definitely want the proper liner. DuraLiner insulated oval is made for this situation. It's 4.75" x 7.75".

i went to their website and read over their information last night. found it interesting and wish i knew about it when the second guy came. have already ruled out the first guy....i think, HA, probably know he is using inferior materials to undercut his competitors and though i like his price tag, im not a fool. scary that many will be unsuspecting and hire him based on the low ball number. so ill see what the new guy quotes and see if this also can be an option. thanks for your help. i want the job done right, just dont want to be taken for every penny i got!

Reactions: bholler
Same clay flue diameter here...I went with the oval duraliner and have no regrets. Drafts great even on my short chimney....also easy to add up to a 4 foot extension with no bracing needed (I did...my chimney was only 13 feet from firebox floor to the top, so with the extra 4 I'm now at 17' total...15' from the top of the insert).

I had found it for a steal of a price online,...17' of pipe was under $1000 and that was including the oval to round adapter and the cap.

Reactions: K-Mac