Blaze King 20.2 or 30.2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Living in Quebec, close to Mt Orford, we have nice winters averaging 140 inches of snow and temperatures dropping to -25 F. I currently have a SBI Adirondack and am looking at Blaze King 20.2 or 30.2. I have 9 cords of hard wood, and burn about 5-6 cords per year. We use the stove every day, but it is not my only source of heating (electricity + a 10k watt emergency generator). House is a split level, 1800 sq.f. and the wood stove is in the living room (15x25).
Reason for upgrade is to have better control over heat output (Supreme Commander does not appreciate the heat peaks) as the room can get really hot, and to have longer burn time to benefit from the radiant heat.
House is well insulated, brand new thermos windows and protected from the north winds by a forest.
So what would be my best option as to size, and would appreciate some advice as to your experience. I was considering Hearthstone but slowly moving away from that option.

The stove size only factors into how long of a burn you can get. The 30 has a larger tank, so you can drive longer. The firebox size is not determining the heat output (in first approximation) when you run at the lower end of the output range.

Their BTU output ranges are similar (especially on the low end). See their website. Going too big is not likely to be an issue.

I would certainly go for the 30 box.

Yes, you do need 15' of chimney. More if you have elbows or horizontal runs in your flue. Download the manual from blazeking.com as it explains how much length to add for each elbow etc.

The beauty of BK stoves is (indeed, Mrs. Supreme Commander) the even output because of the thermostat.

Reactions: Highbeam
I'm actually really impressed that you are heating your home with an SBI Adirondack, it's only got a 1.47cuft firebox, you must be forever reloading it to put 5-6 cords a year through it.

For sure go with the 30.2, the 20.2 will be too small for your needs. Personally I think there's an argument to go with the Princess model instead, but I'm assuming you'd have to get that idea approved by the Supreme Commander.

I'm actually really impressed that you are heating your home with an SBI Adirondack, it's only got a 1.47cuft firebox, you must be forever reloading it to put 5-6 cords a year through it.

For sure go with the 30.2, the 20.2 will be too small for your needs. Personally I think there's an argument to go with the Princess model instead, but I'm assuming you'd have to get that idea approved by the Supreme Commander.

The princess only gets 1800 BTU per hour more running on high (per BK site) then a 30 box. Though it is more efficient than a 30 box. No big difference. Aesthetics will rule the day in that choice, I think.

Reactions: ABMax24
Go with the 30. Which model are you looking? I am currently running the ashford, our house is 1950 sq ft open, and I never touch the propane. Winters hit teens-negative single digits.

I forgot to mention that I also have electric convectors, so I don't use the stove as the only heat source. But with a better stove i will probably use less electricity and wood is not an issue where I live. As to reloading the Adirondack, it was worse than spending the weekend with my mother-in-law. As for the existing chimney, it was installed 7 years ago (we acquired the house 2 years ago) and runs straight so elbows are not an issue.
Thanks to all for taking the time to help me out,

The princess only gets 1800 BTU per hour more running on high (per BK site) then a 30 box. Though it is more efficient than a 30 box. No big difference. Aesthetics will rule the day in that choice, I think.

That's right, I like the Princess for it's increased efficiency and I'm more fond of it's aesthetics than I was a couple years ago, but it's totally up to the OP, there really isn't a wrong decision between the 30.2 or Princess for their use case.

Either way I think the wood consumption will drop significantly.

Reactions: stoveliker
There have been a couple of princess vs. 30 box threads and the princess is the slightly superior heater in every meaningful way except for aesthetics. The deep ash belly, the normal door latch, less cat plugging issues, less smoke smell issues, slightly bigger.

It’s just not everybody’s visual cup of tea and the window tends to get a little dirtier a little faster.

One possible point of consideration. I just went out on the factory floor and verified N/S wood length.

To safely (not hit glass) N/S in the 20.2, the log length should not exceed 15.5"
To safely (not hit glass) N/S in the 302., the log length should not exceed 17"

E/W loading will accommodate 16" on the 20.2

Keep these in mind when selecting your stove.....

BKVP

Reactions: begreen
and even then, running close to those limits increases the danger of damage to glass (and bricks, depending on how you put the splits in). To me, that 5% (1/20) additional fuel by going that extra inch all the way to the limit does not really make sense - reloading times are never accurate within that margin anyway. And most prefer 8, 12, 24 hr reload schedules - regardless of the precise amount of (length of) fuels in the stove. Now playing stove tetris and getting 2 more splits in, that is a game I like to play :)

One possible point of consideration. I just went out on the factory floor and verified N/S wood length.

To safely (not hit glass) N/S in the 20.2, the log length should not exceed 15.5"
To safely (not hit glass) N/S in the 302., the log length should not exceed 17"

E/W loading will accommodate 16" on the 20.2

Keep these in mind when selecting your stove.....

BKVP
That's an important difference and very helpful information. Most purchased firewood is cut to 16".

That's an important difference and very helpful information. Most purchased firewood is cut to 16".
That note made me go back and check both the stoves and my actual wood. Now, since my wood varies in length (15-17 inches, 3 different suppliers), and discussing with the sales agent at the wood stove shop, I will go with a PE Super 27 or Alderlea T5. I checked the history of PE, and posts on this site made me go back to a non-catalyst stove with great technical design and excellent burn capabilities. It boils down to which is available and when. Thank you again for your help.

Reactions: BKVP