Rockey Posted By Rockey, Oct 7, 2018 at 12:31 PM

1. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    I do not have any combustible materials in my setup it's the block wall in the basement with a masonry thimble going through the wall into the fireplace base where they started the clay flues going up. At the first floor the flue is cut on an angle so it can be pushed to the left to make room for the fireplace and the second clay flue stack in the masonry chimney. The first floor fireplace was inspected and the damper removed so a pacific energy insert could be installed. Now that has an insulated 6 inch flue liner. The masonry part there was still in great shape but for code and according to pacific energy and the dealer a liner is needed and and insulated one is recommended if possible. But back to the basement setup I hope I am explaining how the stove is connected to the masonry chimney and how the chimney is constructed with the thimble through the 12 inch block wall. I hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    So the chimney is no where near combustibles the entire way up till it terminates above the roof?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    My chimney is on the exterior of the house, it is not an internal or in the house. My house is an all brick house, the base is built on the outside of the basement wall. I'm sure I'm not explaining it correctly. But the only place the chimney touches the house is where the roof and soffit and gutter and chimney meet. So yes there is no combustibles the entire way up.

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Doesnt the floor framing and roof framing contact the chimney? Is the wall studded out inside the brick? Do you have the required 1" of clearance in those locations?

5. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    The floor framing I can not see since the basement is finished. The roof framing does have a space between the finished brick chimney and the roof rafters. I do not know about the wall construction since I didn't see the house built. I do not know what you mean about the wall studded out inside the brick? Are you asking if they built the wall first then layed up the chimney and fireplace face in the wood wall. Or if they boxed it out and used a angle iron as a header and layed up the chimney and face and have a space between the wall sides and chimney?

6. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I am just trying to find out if you have the required 1" of clearance between the outer face of the chimney structure to any combustibles. That is what is required to safely use an exterior clay lined chimney.

7. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    Yes I have the clearance.

8. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    I tried to have it inspected the best I could to make sure it was safe to use and up to the required code for all parties involved.