Blaze king ashford 30.1 latch bushing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
I have a blazeking ashford 30.1. Tonight while closing up the Latch after loading the latch bushing broke in 2. Is this bushing something I can replace?

You can replace the latch assembly. Mine broke because the door got slammed and it smashes the bushing. Easy fix though.

Did you change stoves again?
I think webby is a coal burner now, back / shoulder problems.
OP - I suspect one of the reasons why these bushings get worn out is having the door adjustment to tight, I recently replaced my gasket and had to re-adjust my door so that it passed the dollar bill test, but was to tight, like use 2 fingers to open it, this allows the expanding metal of the door as it gets heated to have the micro play, I had to back my latch nut almost to the last threads on my adjuster to give that some perspective.

I think webby is a coal burner now, back / shoulder problems.
OP - I suspect one of the reasons why these bushings get worn out is having the door adjustment to tight, I recently replaced my gasket and had to re-adjust my door so that it passed the dollar bill test, but was to tight, like use 2 fingers to open it, this allows the expanding metal of the door as it gets heated to have the micro play, I had to back my latch nut almost to the last threads on my adjuster to give that some perspective.
The latch is adjusted as close to the door as possible, if that makes sense. Blaze kind had my dealer install a new gasket a couple years ago for the smoke smell problem. It's thicker I believe, causing the latch to always be pretty tight. I'm guessing that's what caused it but I could be completely wrong.

I think @kennyp2339 is on the right track. I just asked in the BK thread this week how firm should the latching pressure be? In my case its the princess insert but that is no different than your unit. I can close the latch with just about 2 fingers pressing down on the wooden handle. It seems really easy, almost no pressure. Unit is 3 years old and has had no adjustments. I have no smoke smell and it passes the test other than a small space between the latches.

I think @kennyp2339 is on the right track. I just asked in the BK thread this week how firm should the latching pressure be? In my case its the princess insert but that is no different than your unit. I can close the latch with just about 2 fingers pressing down on the wooden handle. It seems really easy, almost no pressure. Unit is 3 years old and has had no adjustments. I have no smoke smell and it passes the test other than a small space between the latches.
The ashford and princess latch systems are very different. Especially after BK added a thicker than original gasket to try and cure the stank.

Reactions: webby3650