Blaze King Ashford 30 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
How do you guys like your stoves? Any dislikes or problems? How many sq. ft are you heating? How cold does it get where you live? How many gaskets do you have to replace? I am heating 2000 sq. ft. in central Wisconsin. I am considering this stove for next year. Thanks

The princess model has no history of the smoke leakage.

Reactions: Tar12
Thank Mark. Any smell will never work in my house. Wife would not be happy. Guess I am back to the Woodstocks and Jotul F55. I can't believe a expensive stove like that is having that many problems. I will stay away from them.
Like any other products, some can have some defect/issues out of thounsand sold. It's up to you to change your mind but you going by someone review that not even own one. Saying so it's true that some has smell issues but most of them have been addressed and are just a few cases out of thounsand . BKVP THAT IS ACTIVE HERE is working with those having the issues. Some have already report that everything is well. Including some have been fixing the issue adding a few feet of chimney. You can't blame a company if you didn't install the product to their specs. Other replacing the door gasket everything is good. For sure the company and the VP are working hard to provide customer satisfaction. It is up to you.

I haven't burned in the Ashford yet, but I like the overall execution of this stove. The castings are nice and it has a good latching assembly and from later reports an improved ash collection system. My only caveat is that we use the stove top almost daily for heating water for coffee and tea and occasionally for slow cooking and bread rising. The Ashford has a convection top. You can lift off this top, but for us that would mean leaving the top off most of the time in order to set the kettle on the hot cooktop.

Like any other products, some can have some defect/issues out of thounsand sold. It's up to you to change your mind but you going by someone review that not even own one. Saying so it's true that some has smell issues but most of them have been addressed and are just a few cases out of thounsand . BKVP THAT IS ACTIVE HERE is working with those having the issues. Some have already report that everything is well. Including some have been fixing the issue adding a few feet of chimney. You can't blame a company if you didn't install the product to their specs. Other replacing the door gasket everything is good. For sure the company and the VP are working hard to provide customer satisfaction. It is up to you.
I did not blame the company for anything. No need to jump on me regarding my stove decision. I simply asked the owners if there was any problems with the stove. It could be the installation or another issue. I don't know. I really like your Ashford and I will be speaking to a local dealer soon.

It is beautiful and will grow on you. Only issue could be the smell problem . In my case it is a little bothersome but not a major problem. I am trying to burn the driest wood I have and also to burn hotter and things are ok for now. I will try to change the gasket this summer for a less permiable one. I wrote to the rep in my region about the smell and he said to burn hotter. I also char the load more before engaging the catalyst. All those things add up to reducing the smell.

How do you know it's only a few cases out of a thousand? We represent the minority of burners here....meaning I'm sure there are others that have not come to hearth.com with this issue.

How do you know it's only a few cases out of a thousand? We represent the minority of burners here....meaning I'm sure there are others that have not come to hearth.com with this issue.
Possibly there are other cases. But how do you know there are others? How you so sure there are others?.
The only data/information available to provide/give/help is here at Hearth.com.

I did not blame the company for anything. No need to jump on me regarding my stove decision. I simply asked the owners if there was any problems with the stove. It could be the installation or another issue. I don't know. I really like your Ashford and I will be speaking to a local dealer soon.
Was not my intention to make it sound like that. I wasn't saying you were blaming the company. Not everyone has those issues. A family member crossing the street from me has an Ashford 30.1. no issues at all with smell. Cause I am here listening/seeing this cases here did asked them and we have been together spending time countless times and never I smell anything or they have a complain regarding the smell issue.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I have two Ashford 30’s, and I can’t say enough good things about them. There is really no other brand I’d even consider, if buying another stove, today.

BKVP has acknowledged there have been a very small pool of users with a smoke smell issue. The total count was less than a dozen, out of many thousands of stoves sold. I believe by last count, all but two of these cases have been resolved. There was no single smoking gun, each situation and solution was unique. What’s important is that BK supported these users, and resolved their issue, in at least one case sending out a new stove. You should read the thread, and satisfy yourself, but it appeared BK went above and beyond to make sure every one of these few cases gets resolved. Admirable.

On stove performance, BK is a Ferrari in a world of Camrys. No other stove can match their range of burn rate. Heck, most can’t even cover a third of their range of burn rates.

Their thermostat is the shiznit, increasing air as the fire wanes, to maintain more constant output throughout the burn. They’re so rote and automatic, some accuse them of being boring.

I load my stoves on a schedule that suits me, namely every 12, 24, or 36 hours, and just set the thermostat to the setting that will consistently nail those burn times. It is very consistent, in all weather conditions. I’m no longer slave to feeding two stoves on the schedule they demand, like I was with my Jotuls. Find me another 2.65 cu ft stove that can burn 30+ hours, and I’m all ears, but I don’t think it exists.

I’d not even consider buying a non-cat, when there’s better tech out there, but some like dickering with inferior technology. To each his own. We see a lot of folks here switching from non cat to modern cat stoves, but very rarely the other way around.

The only issue I’ve ever experienced with my Ashford 30’s, having about 60 cords thru the pair, was self-inflicted. I have one installed on a chimney that exceeds their max draft spec by more than 3x (it’s a very, very tall fully-insulated chimney), and this causes so much turbulence of ash flying around in the stove that it would occasionally plug the combustor on very high burn rates. This seems to have been resolved by installing a key damper to throttle the draft down closer to the BK spec, and I believe I’d have issues running ANY stove in this pipe. I’d not even think of running a runaway non-cat on a chimney like this, it’d likely become a puddle of molten iron on my floor.

You mention Woodstock, and almost all of the same can be said about them. Another great company, with great technology, who stands behind their users. I can’t say anything bad about Woodstock, except I don’t think their stoves are very attractive, and soapstone would never work in my (unique) house.

I would never buy a Jotul again. They flat-out refuse to speak with or support their users. I don’t have any desire to deal with a company like that. They also only make non-cats.

Last edited:
Possibly there are other cases. But how do you know there are others? How you so sure there are others?.
The only data/information available to provide/give/help is here at Hearth.com.
I'm not so sure but simple logic would dictate it's not isolated to hearth.com members....that makes no sense.

I'm not so sure but simple logic would dictate it's not isolated to hearth.com members....that makes no sense.

This is correct. BK has acknowledged a few more than we’ve seen here. But it does appear to be literally 1 in 1000 type stats.

I have two Ashford 30’s, and I can’t say enough good things about them. There is really no other brand I’d even consider, if buying another stove, today.

BKVP has acknowledged there have been a very small pool of users with a smoke smell issue. The total count was less than a dozen, out of many thousands of stoves sold. I believe by last count, all but two of these cases have been resolved. There was no single smoking gun, each situation and solution was unique. What’s important is that BK supported these users, and resolved their issue, in at least one case sending out a new stove. You should read the thread, and satisfy yourself, but it appeared BK went above and beyond to make sure every one of these few cases gets resolved. Admirable.

On stove performance, BK is a Ferrari in a world of Camrys. No other stove can match their range of burn rate. Heck, most can’t even cover a third of their range of burn rates.

Their thermostat is the shiznit, increasing air as the fire wanes, to maintain more constant output throughout the burn. They’re so rote and automatic, some accuse them of being boring.

I load my stoves on a schedule that suits me, namely every 12, 24, or 36 hours, and just set the thermostat to the setting that will consistently nail those burn times. It is very consistent, in all weather conditions. I’m no longer slave to feeding two stoves on the schedule they demand, like I was with my Jotuls. Find me another 2.65 cu ft stove that can burn 30+ hours, and I’m all ears, but I don’t think it exists.

I’d not even consider buying a non-cat, when there’s better tech out there, but some like dickering with inferior technology. To each his own. We see a lot of folks here switching from non cat to modern cat stoves, but very rarely the other way around.

The only issue I’ve ever experienced with my Ashford 30’s, having about 60 cords thru the pair, was self-inflicted. I have one installed on a chimney that exceeds their max draft spec by more than 3x (it’s a very, very tall fully-insulated chimney), and this causes so much turbulence of ash flying around in the stove that it would occasionally plug the combustor on very high burn rates. This seems to have been resolved by installing a key damper to throttle the draft down closer to the BK spec, and I believe I’d have issues running ANY stove in this pipe. I’d not even think of running a runaway non-cat on a chimney like this, it’d likely become a puddle of molten iron on my floor.

You mention Woodstock, and almost all of the same can be said about them. Another great company, with great technology, who stands behind their users. I can’t say anything bad about Woodstock, except I don’t think their stoves are very attractive, and soapstone would never work in my (unique) house.

I would never buy a Jotul again. They flat-out refuse to speak with or support their users. I don’t have any desire to deal with a company like that. They also only make non-cats.
Ashful I've certainly enjoyed reading your thoughtful contrubtions to various threads but there is some serious nonsense here. "BK is the Ferrari" and "some like dikering with inferior technolgy". It's all relative to individual applications and your individual goals....too presume otherwise is simply ridiculous. Sure Ferrari makes a great sports that goes fast but it wouldnt make it more than 20ft down our camp road so is of no use to me.

No doubt BK makes a great product....it's been well documented here.

Was not my intention to make it sound like that. I wasn't saying you were blaming the company. Not everyone has those issues. A family member crossing the street from me has an Ashford 30.1. no issues at all with smell. Cause I am here listening/seeing this cases here did asked them and we have been together spending time countless times and never I smell anything or they have a complain regarding the smell issue.
Thank you and Ashful for your replies. I am very excited to see the Ashford burn. I have a duratech class a stainless chimney. There is one 45 degree elbow as the chimney would hit a roof joint. Do you think that would effect the Ashford in any way? With the thermostat? I am hopeful not as the Ashford looks like a great choice at this time.My current stove does not have any problems. So hopefully that would not effect the Ashford either.

Great review. Thank you. I spoke with a dealer yesterday and they have a Ashford on the showroom floor. They use it as a show model so it is broke in. Can I cook on the Ashford if the power goes out?

If you have at least 3' of straight run out of the stove, everything should be okay. BK recommendation is 3' before any bends, with two feet being the minimum before a bend. You can download or see/read the manual online.

If you have at least 3' of straight run out of the stove, everything should be okay. BK recommendation is 3' before any bends, with two feet being the minimum before a bend. You can download or see/read the manual online.
Thanks. That's awesome. Yes I have three feet easy so that won't be a problem. BK has a major advantage right now. I can't install the stove myself. Insurance company says it has to be done by a dealer. Can I burn wood at 20 or 22% moisture? Will that hurt the stove? Most of my oak is around 20% seasoned two years.

Thanks. That's awesome. Yes I have three feet easy so that won't be a problem. BK has a major advantage right now. I can't install the stove myself. Insurance company says it has to be done by a dealer. Can I burn wood at 20 or 22% moisture? Will that hurt the stove? Most of my oak is around 20% seasoned two years.
You should be ok with those MC. I don't think it'll cause any harm. I will says you are ok.

Like any other products, some can have some defect/issues out of thounsand sold. It's up to you to change your mind but you going by someone review that not even own one.

The thread that was posted is by someone who has owned two Blaze king Ashford 30!

EXACTLY, let's use some commonsense, the thread I posted is from an owner of two Ashford 30's out of thousands sold, what are the odds that out of supposedly eight cases this person would get the smoke smell with both of their Ashfords purchased at separate times. The odds of that happening is like saying you won the power ball lottery two weeks in a row, so this proves there are probably hundreds of these problems out there, do you really think that everyone knows to go to a forum and post their problems, NO.

If you like your BK and it works great for you post your positive review, but if a company has a product with a problem, the only one who should be defending that problem should be the company not a consumer, because a consumer really has no idea what's really going on at that company, or exactly how many cases there really are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diabel
The thread that was posted is by someone who has owned two Blaze king Ashford 30
The OP asked many questions and is obvious that you just were able to point him to the bad without even being your own experience. Why you didn't point him to the main BK thread where there's all kinds the information? Bad and good? All kind the experience and knowledge? Where he actually can look at the whole picture? If you don't like BKs is ok many don't and it is not an stove for everybody and we all know that.

The OP asked many questions and is obvious that you just were able to point him to the bad without even being your own experience. Why you didn't point him to the main BK thread where there's all kinds the information? Bad and good? All kind the experience and knowledge? Where he actually can look at the whole picture? If you don't like BKs is ok many don't and it is not an stove for everybody and we all know that.

Because I knew others would come along and give their positive experiences about BK and point him to the BK thread. I still haven't made up my mind what brand I'm going to buy, and it could be a princess insert because of my mild temps. :)

but if a company has a product with a problem, the only one who should be defending that problem should be the company not a consumer, because a consumer really has no idea what's really going on at that company, or exactly how many cases there really are.
Look yourself at the mirror is the company problems. What right do you have to be pointing to their problems when you're not even a consumer? Lol this is funny.lol