Blaze King Ashford 30 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Current Jotuls are simple stoves that don't need a lot of factory support. Ashful's experience was with a discontinued, early design cat stove. This is far from reflective of most people's Jotul experience. They are a top seller for good reason. The F55 is a completely different animal from the old F12 Firelight. It's an American made steel stove with no bypass and it's a non-cat. Stoves don't get much simpler. The F12 was a complicated early attempt at a big cat stove. FWIW Jotul dealers in many areas are very good and offer good service. They get good support from Jotul NA. I've only had to contact a person in Jotul Maine a couple times, but I got a human being and answers. That was a decade ago, so I can't speak of current status.

Th
Current Jotuls are simple stoves that don't need a lot of factory support. Ashful's experience was with a discontinued, early design cat stove. This is far from reflective of most people's Jotul experience. They are a top seller for good reason. The F55 is a completely different animal from the old F12 Firelight. It's an American made steel stove with no bypass and it's a non-cat. Stoves don't get much simpler. The F12 was a complicated early attempt at a big cat stove. FWIW Jotul dealers in many areas are very good and offer good service. They get good support from Jotul NA. I've only had to contact a person in Jotul Maine a couple times, but I got a human being and answers. That was a decade ago, so I can't speak of current status.
That context helps. For me I picked something I knew was robust and would need next to nothing in terms of customer support so that particular attribute wasn't of much value to me. I can see how it is for others however given their particular applications/install etc.

I called a second BK dealer. I have not heard back from them yet. I am not making the stuff up. I see can why Woodstock dumped the dealers. If you don't like my post don't respond.
I am not sure where in Wisconsin you live but we had a great experience with snowbelt out of Stevens Point Wisconsin . Talk to Adrian he was very knowledgeable and extremely interested when I had information from Hearth.com he wasn’t aware of.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I am not sure where in Wisconsin you live but we had a great experience with snowbelt out of Stevens Point Wisconsin . Talk to Adrian he was very knowledgeable and extremely interested when I had information from Hearth.com he wasn’t aware of.
It's in the past now. I found someone else to work with.

Ashford 30 gasket kit. Is there a gasket kit for the Ashford? Does anyone the cost? Thanks

How would the Woodstock stove get installed to your insurance companies satisfaction?

Will they except a certified chimney sweep? I would hate to see the insurance company decide which stove you can install. <>
I have to hire a sweep. Not a easy thing to do in my area. Unfortunately, I have to pass on the woodstocks for that reason. I found a good dealer for Blaze King so it will all work out.

Reactions: rdust
Ashford 30 gasket kit. Is there a gasket kit for the Ashford? Does anyone the cost? Thanks

What kind of gasket? Door? Combustor?

Combustor gasket you can buy by the foot online. I bought like 20 feet for like 15$. Good to have on hand. With a new stove, there should be no need for a door gasket- of there is a problem it's under warranty.

What kind of gasket? Door? Combustor?

Combustor gasket you can buy by the foot online. I bought like 20 feet for like 15$. Good to have on hand. With a new stove, there should be no need for a door gasket- of there is a problem it's under warranty.
I am making a list of parts I would need on had for a emergency. For the Ashford, a combustor, door gasket, combustor gasket, cement. Anything else?

For the Jotul F55. Gasket kit, cement

This is all true, begreen, but doesn't really counter what I was saying. In fact, many of us here have spoken with a human being at Jotul NA, more recently than you. It's a receptionist that will tell you they don't handle stove support, you must call your dealer. Try to call them today. No really, try it.

Well shucks I'm not sure I follow...
The linked thread really said it all. Anything I add would just be repeating what's already been written there.

Been to my original Jotul dealer once . . . to buy the stove and it was a rather pleasant experience as they were knowledgeable and gave me good advice (i.e. they recommended I wait to buy a blower and try the stove without one and then if I wanted one later they said I could easily mount it.)

Been to another Jotul dealer (closer to where I work) once (well, not counting visits to see if they would come to a fire safety display for Fire Prevention Week) and they sold me gasket materials, gasket adhesive and baffle blanket material (non OEM -- sold by the foot for a better price). Haven't really had any other reason to contact the local companies or corporate headquarters.

I'm quite certain I will never have to call Jotul. Welded steel firebox, stainless baffle, couple gaskets and that's about it....simple on purpose. Suppose customer service matters when things get complicated. Glad I don't have to worry about that.

Gasket kit....no cement needed. Simple.
Thanks. Good to know. I like the simplicity. It's always best to be prepared. Heat, plenty of wood, extra parts.

Been to my original Jotul dealer once . . . to buy the stove and it was a rather pleasant experience as they were knowledgeable and gave me good advice (i.e. they recommended I wait to buy a blower and try the stove without one and then if I wanted one later they said I could easily mount it.)

Been to another Jotul dealer (closer to where I work) once (well, not counting visits to see if they would come to a fire safety display for Fire Prevention Week) and they sold me gasket materials, gasket adhesive and baffle blanket material (non OEM -- sold by the foot for a better price). Haven't really had any other reason to contact the local companies or corporate headquarters.
My experience with the Jotul dealer near me has been very good. One of the Blaze King dealers as well. It's their business. The are selling the brand.

Most dealers are good. My issue, as begreen already aluded, was that the dealers knew nothing about my stoves. The Jotuls I was running in 2011 were discontinued about 10 years earlier, and of my two local dealers, only one employee between them even remembered anything about how that stove worked.

One of the dealers was kind enough to give me Jotul’s phone number, and instructed me on how to pretend I was the dealer, so I could get thru to Jotul dealer tech support. That’s how I rolled with those stoves, until I got rid of them. Jotul’s tech’s were actually very friendly and knowledgeable, but getting thru to them would be impossible for the average customer.

I am making a list of parts I would need on had for a emergency. For the Ashford, a combustor, door gasket, combustor gasket, cement. Anything else?

For the Jotul F55. Gasket kit, cement
Why would you need a combustor for emergency? "I had a spontaneous combustor failure," said no one, ever. These things fade over years, they don't suddenly explode.

Why would you need a combustor for emergency? "I had a spontaneous combustor failure," said no one, ever. These things fade over years, they don't suddenly explode.
Really? I am just wanting to be prepared.

Really? I am just wanting to be prepared.

If you want to be prepared for a combustor equipped stove it sounds like you would be beast served by getting another year ahead on you woodpile.

If you want to be prepared for a combustor equipped stove it sounds like you would be beast served by getting another year ahead on you woodpile.
You should see my wood piles. Split,stacked about two years worth outside. Then a pole she'd stacked to the roof with the really dry stuff. I think I am good. I can cut unlimited amounts of hardwood and I do.

Here is one for the Ashford owners. How difficult is it to replace the combustor in the stove? Can anyone please tell me the procedure for that? Can I do it myself or do I have to call a dealer? Thanks

Never a bad plan to have a backup for those things of which you rely on someone else for....especially for something as important as heat. I.e. supply shortage, industry considation with ensuing price jack, discontinuation, natural disaster etc. Some folks call this prepping or hoarding but really it's just plain smart.....in the case of a combustor your more than likely going to need it at some point anyhow.

Last edited:
Here is one for the Ashford owners. How difficult is it to replace the combustor in the stove? Can anyone please tell me the procedure for that? Can I do it myself or do I have to call a dealer? Thanks

Super easy, maybe a small pry with a screwdriver and then it just pulls out with fingers. Push a new one in with fingers. There are no fasteners.

Never a bad plan to have a backup for those things of which you rely on someone else for....especially for something as important as heat. I.e. supply shortage, industry considation with ensuing price jack, discontinuation, natural disaster etc. Some folks call this prepping or hoarding but really it's just plain smart.....in the case of a combustion your more than likely going to need it at some point anyhow.
Thank you. Here is somone who gets it. It's very smart. I would rather have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it. Woodstock was actually shipping stoves without the combustors in them a few weeks ago. That's a supply problem.

Super easy, maybe a small pry with a screwdriver and then it just pulls out with fingers. Push a new one in with fingers. There are no fasteners.
Thanks!

Never a bad plan to have a backup for those things of which you rely on someone else for....especially for something as important as heat. I.e. supply shortage, industry considation with ensuing price jack, discontinuation, natural disaster etc. Some folks call this prepping or hoarding but really it's just plain smart.....in the case of a combustor your more than likely going to need it at some point anyhow.
I agree on having backups of things you are likely to need in a pinch, but that does not include a combustor, IMO. And as far as needing one at some point anyhow, Blaze King will replace your first one for free, assuming you manage to kill it in your first decade with the stove.

You forgot masking tape. You will need masking tape to hold on the interam gasket that comes with the combustor.