Blaze King Ashford 30 Thermostat Question(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ralph_deadmoon

Nov 18, 2021
Minnesota
Hey, folks. I'll keep this very brief. Recently purchased/installed a BK Ashford 30.2. So far, it has lived up to the hype! Killer stove. My question, however, is where exactly should I expect to find "low-medium-high" on my thermostat? The dial itself rotates well past the "thin" portion of the gauge on the thermostat. When I turn it to HIGH, it bottoms out at the fat end of the gauge. However, turning it counter-clockwise, it turns well past the thinner part until it's almost back around to 6 o' clock again. In that case, is LOW still 1 o' clock-ish (or thin part of gauge) and is nothing happening internally after I've turned the dial past LOW/thin portion/1 o' clock? Help!! For the nite, I've set the thermostat at 1 o' clock or what I believe to be LOW.. Thanks for your time!

I have the same stove; mine goes 12-6 o clock. 12 being low, 2-4 (ish) being medium and past that high. Mine doesn’t rotate as you describe, but I’d wait for some others to chime in with more experience with BKs etc. @BKVP

I have the same stove; mine goes 12-6 o clock. 12 being low, 2-4 (ish) being medium and past that high. Mine doesn’t rotate as you describe, but I’d wait for some others to chime in with more experience with BKs etc. @BKVP
I'll be darned. Eager to hear what other folks say but thanks for replying so quickly. I'm confident I wasn't applying extra pressure in order to get the dial to move past 12 o' clock so there's that..

Begun, the 2022 Swoosh War has... star-wars-yoda.gif

(In seriousness, one of the most important parts of actual air intake, and thus burn rate, is your flue system. Stove manufacturers test stoves with a controlled system; yours is different. Yours is different from itself on a cold day versus a warm day, on a windy day versus a calm day. Yours is different when you switch from dry pine to damp oak (because the flue is warmer with the dry pine). There is no way for a stove manufacturer to accurately say "This point on the dial is 50k BTU/h", or any useful point of reference, because each install varies a lot.)

Eack BK install is unique to itself as far as what portion of the dial is actually effective for burn rate. Nobody can tell you what portion of the available dial "your" stove/setup will use.
Chances are good you will use the wide open position to start your fresh loads. As directed in the manual. Chances are also good you will figure out where the fully closed position is as well for your stove/setup. My fully closed position is approximately 3 o'clock. If I twist my dial from wide open to 12 o'clock I hear the air intake flapper snap to full closed at 3 o'clock. Very rare that closing my dial to less than this 3 o'clock position has any effect on burn rate.
Soooo, in reality my effective fire control/burn rate control is wide open to 3 o'clock. The fine tuning happens between 3 and 4 roughly on my personal stove. That very small area of effective burn rate control regulates 99.5% of my loads. I mark each end of my effective control with a small magnet for quick reference as it's rather dark back there;)
If you are now more confused, you are in the majority of new BK users.;lol This will all make more sense as you progress through many loads.
Fire away if you have more questions. Enjoy.

I'll be darned. Eager to hear what other folks say but thanks for replying so quickly. I'm confident I wasn't applying extra pressure in order to get the dial to move past 12 o' clock so there's that..
What is said below is correct. Each user install is unique. For the vast majority of folks, 2-6 is the effective range of movement for sustained combustor activity. Depends upon the draft.....

Begun, the 2022 Swoosh War has...View attachment 289667

(In seriousness, one of the most important parts of actual air intake, and thus burn rate, is your flue system. Stove manufacturers test stoves with a controlled system; yours is different. Yours is different from itself on a cold day versus a warm day, on a windy day versus a calm day. Yours is different when you switch from dry pine to damp oak (because the flue is warmer with the dry pine). There is no way for a stove manufacturer to accurately say "This point on the dial is 50k BTU/h", or any useful point of reference, because each install varies a lot.)
I understand all of this. I'm not looking for advice on where to set my thermostat. Rather, I'm wondering why my dial turns past 12 o' clock in the first place. According to the literature that comes with the stove, the dial is only effective between 12/1 o' clock and 6 o' clock. However, my dial turns counter-clockwise past 12 (11:00 thru 5:00).

What is said below is correct. Each user install is unique. For the vast majority of folks, 2-6 is the effective range of movement for sustained combustor activity. Depends upon the draft.....
Thanks for your input but, again, I'm not necessarily looking for advice on where to set my thermostat. I understand there will be a learning curve and it will depend on wood species/moisture content, etc. and that my particular stove may be unique as well. However, what I'm wondering about is if my thermostat's range is approx 12/1 o' clock to 6 o' clock, why does it turn counter clockwise past 12 (from 11 thru 5)? Have I damaged the thermostat by turning it past 12 into this range??

Eack BK install is unique to itself as far as what portion of the dial is actually effective for burn rate. Nobody can tell you what portion of the available dial "your" stove/setup will use.
Chances are good you will use the wide open position to start your fresh loads. As directed in the manual. Chances are also good you will figure out where the fully closed position is as well for your stove/setup. My fully closed position is approximately 3 o'clock. If I twist my dial from wide open to 12 o'clock I hear the air intake flapper snap to full closed at 3 o'clock. Very rare that closing my dial to less than this 3 o'clock position has any effect on burn rate.
Soooo, in reality my effective fire control/burn rate control is wide open to 3 o'clock. The fine tuning happens between 3 and 4 roughly on my personal stove. That very small area of effective burn rate control regulates 99.5% of my loads. I mark each end of my effective control with a small magnet for quick reference as it's rather dark back there;)
If you are now more confused, you are in the majority of new BK users.;lol This will all make more sense as you progress through many loads.
(Copied and pasted from another reply) Thanks for your input but, again, I'm not necessarily looking for advice on where to set my thermostat. I understand there will be a learning curve and it will depend on wood species/moisture content, etc. and that my particular stove may be unique as well. However, what I'm wondering about is if my thermostat's range is approx 12/1 o' clock to 6 o' clock, why does it turn counter clockwise past 12 (from 11 thru 5)? Have I damaged the thermostat by turning it past 12 into this range??

I took a cue from your reply and sorta quickly dialed the thermostat back from 6 o' clock, heard the flapper close around 2 o' clock. I hadn't listened for that yet.. thanks. Still curious what, if anything, happens if I dial that thermostat counter-clockwise past the LOW/closed/1 o' clock position. Any chance I would've damaged the thermostat in doing this??

Dialing back any lower did not damage anything to the best of my knowledge. People do it occasionally and I have heard of no problems/damage. However If your knob travels past 6 the other direction it has likely come loose on the shaft. Simple setscrew re-tightening is likely needed. Carry on with your experimenting. Good luck.

Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
Thanks for your input but, again, I'm not necessarily looking for advice on where to set my thermostat. I understand there will be a learning curve and it will depend on wood species/moisture content, etc. and that my particular stove may be unique as well. However, what I'm wondering about is if my thermostat's range is approx 12/1 o' clock to 6 o' clock, why does it turn counter clockwise past 12 (from 11 thru 5)? Have I damaged the thermostat by turning it past 12 into this range??
No damage done, it is normal.

Reactions: stoveliker and MMH
For the vast majority of folks, 2-6 is the effective range of movement for sustained combustor activity.

This is what I experience as well. You can hear the intake flapper slam closed at 2 when it's cold. It's never going to open at any higher temperature so that is the lowest effective thermostat setting and where (or slightly more CW) many of us run the stoves the majority of the time. BK did help you out a bit by only providing "swoosh" from about noon to 6. They could have started the swoosh at 2 o'clock but maybe the aesthetics weren't as good.

I can also spin my knob all the way back around CCW to about 7 o'clock. If you ever look under the thermostat cover you will see why. The full max stopper is also a full min stopper. I'm not sure why some folks don't think they can spin it back this far. Perhaps their particular model has an extra feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMH