Blaze King Ashford Or Hearthstone Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't the EPA reports and tests specify firebox size? GM60 is specified as 2.03 cuft usable volume in the EPA test report.
Good point. I was just looking at that as well. Looks like they include the volume between the dog box and glass which makes up 30% of total firebox volume.

Good point. I was just looking at that as well. Looks like they include the volume between the dog box and glass which makes up 30% of total firebox volume.
Jotul used to post some fairly optimistic numbers, as well. I can't figure out if they were including the space between the dogs and the glass, or if it was the space above the front door lintel in their top-load stoves, but I could never get an actually-usable firebox measurement anywhere the number they published on my old Firelights.

Some stove companies publish the total firebox capacity. This may include the area above the baffle in some cases. It is not the same as usable capacity, i.e.: the actual loadable space, which is a more meaningful number.

I think Jotul stopped posting firebox capacity quite a while ago. I recall when we got the F400 that we were trying to find this info and didn't get much. Finally, a bunch of us here started measuring the fireboxes ourselves and reporting our findings. IIRC the F400 ended up being around 1.7 cu ft. Some EPA reports list the usable capacity now. This is helpful info.

Osburn and Drolet went from a period of fairly accurate reporting of the firebox size, to regular overstatement for about 5 yrs. Now they are back to reporting usable capacity more frequently or stating "total firebox capacity" in other cases.

I am looking at a Manchester and and more curious if it will be the right size for me. My home is 3000sqft. We will be putting the stove in the basement. The basement is 1500 sqft total and the room the stove is going in 900 sqft. The rest of the rooms are directly attached and can be left open. The stairwell going upstairs is also attached to the 900sqft room. I hope to use the furnace to move the air around to upstairs as well. This is a new home so the insulation is really good! Any suggestions?