Blaze King Boxer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think the Boxer 24 is likely a sleeper, a really good stove often overlooked.

One, price. I haven't priced one lately, but compared to the lineup when I was drooling on serial number 2 this is alien BK technology for less than half the price of my A30.

Two Huge window. At night with the flames going you won't see the box, but you will have a good view of the flame show.

Three 6" collar.

Four probably does a little bit better than the 25 inserts delivering BTUs to the envelope since it is a free stander.

I think this stove would work very well, around here, in a new build cabin around 500-600 sqft with good air seal and good insulation. You could _probably_ get home around 1700, reload on hot coals, run a full load on high while you are home, reload around 2000-2100, run black box mode overnight, reload on hot coals in the morning...

Later if you add on a master suite or etc, the 6" chimney is ready to accept a bigger stove.

The downsides I see are the smallish firebox and the trapezoidal floor. Certainly you could heat the White House with a candle if it had good enough insulation.

Balancing the sqft, insulation envelope and air seals to local climate and coming up with BTU per hour is a problem of it's own. It seems to me most of the folks here running the 25 inserts are in 1200-2500 sqft, the B24 is not the right freestander for that big a house.

I suspect there is a bit of learning curve to playing tetris on that trapezoid shaped floor, but it could be done.

Putting in an ash dump would materially alter the firebox, then the B24 could no longer ride on the 25 series' EPA cert.
The thermostat and fans sit below the firebox. No room for the ash drawer. If there was room, we would not have to have a different certificate from EPA.

The thermostat and fans sit below the firebox. No room for the ash drawer. If there was room, we would not have to have a different certificate from EPA.
Thanks for clarifying. I assumed (incorrectly) that since it was primarily a fireplace insert there was no room for an ash dump because of the fireplace floor. I still want to beat on one of those things like a rented mule to see what I can make it do. I bet it is a pretty darn good burner in spite of its diminutive size.