Blaze king king where to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Owenfred

May 30, 2021
California
Looking for a king with ultra pedestal, ash pan, and fan kit.

I called a local dealer and the price seemed pretty high. (From what I've seen posted almost double in some cases) I am replacing a hearthstone 1 from the early 80's. The chimney is 8" single wall inside, so I'll need to convert to double wall.

Looking for low heat, looooooong burns! Wood is our only heat source. We are off grid 100% solar no gas or supplemental heating.

PXL_20210923_013832741.jpg

Steel prices are driving stove prices higher. The Blaze King website has a dealer locator. Also keep an eye out on Craigslist for a relatively newer one.
How many sq ft are you heating and what part of CA? I'm wondering what altitude are you at and what the heating requirements are?

Last edited:
Yeah I looked on the website. That's where the quote came from.

$5k and I have to pick it up from the store.

By the time I get the double wall pipe material, I'll be in the install $6800 in pipe/stove alone. Lots more where that came from I'm sure!

I'm at low elevation. Winter is just rain, no snow. House is 2100sqft. I'm in sonoma county, but way out in the boonies!

Sounds like a Princess would do the job. That takes 6" stove pipe.

As long as you have some insulation in the place with semi decent windows a princess should be fine for your application, also PM @BKVP if a dealer is an issue, he might be able to help with that.

If the OP sends me a PM, I can help him in his search....which won't be easy given demand.

Looking for a king with ultra pedestal, ash pan, and fan kit.

I called a local dealer and the price seemed pretty high. (From what I've seen posted almost double in some cases) I am replacing a hearthstone 1 from the early 80's. The chimney is 8" single wall inside, so I'll need to convert to double wall.

Looking for low heat, looooooong burns! Wood is our only heat source. We are off grid 100% solar no gas or supplemental heating.

View attachment 282218
You are in for a pleasantly eye opening experience running any late model BK compared to your current stove. Especially if you are looking for "low heat, looooong burns". Enjoy.

Reactions: Highbeam
Pm written,

I concur on the princess, but I am interested in longest burn times. I already have the 8" pipe anyway. The cost difference is something I'd pay for the convinience of longer burn times.

I love the old hearthstone. It puts off very mellow heat which is good for my warmer climate. I looked also at the green mountain 80, hearthstone Mansfield, and the Woodstock progress as well. All of these are considerably less than the bk quote which is why I wrote this post.

You'll find it funny that my wife likes the look of the blaze king the most! I actually prefer the look of the Mansfield, but my functional engineer brain wants to buy the bk based on specs.

Who said Happy Wife, Happy Life. I'll bet it wasn't a hubby.

Reactions: NewGuy132
Pm written,

I concur on the princess, but I am interested in longest burn times. I already have the 8" pipe anyway. The cost difference is something I'd pay for the convinience of longer burn times.

I love the old hearthstone. It puts off very mellow heat which is good for my warmer climate. I looked also at the green mountain 80, hearthstone Mansfield, and the Woodstock progress as well. All of these are considerably less than the bk quote which is why I wrote this post.

You'll find it funny that my wife likes the look of the blaze king the most! I actually prefer the look of the Mansfield, but my functional engineer brain wants to buy the bk based on specs.

I can’t remember anybody complaining on this forum that the king was too much stove. Though it has a large fuel tank it can be turned down very low, almost as low as the princess, so you can enjoy those long burns.

I moved from a hearthstone to the BK and found that the heat mellowing property of high thermal mass stone is very easily replaced by a stove technology that allows for low output burns. The extra thermal mass becomes a hindrance at that point.

Pm written,

If the BK is hard to locate, you might consider a Regency 5200. It also is a big cat beast that can load up to 90 lbs. of 22" logs for extra long burn times.

Here is a heck of a deal:

Reactions: Owenfred
that is a deal, that stove new is 4 grand or better

that is a deal, that stove new is 4 grand or better
I'll ask you since you are have the exact model Blaze King I'm looking at. Why did you buy a BK over a cheaper stove like Englander or Drolet that have higher BTU outputs than the BK? I am in the market and actually posted a thread about woodstove prices.

I'll ask you since you are have the exact model Blaze King I'm looking at. Why did you buy a BK over a cheaper stove like Englander or Drolet that have higher BTU outputs than the BK? I am in the market and actually posted a thread about woodstove prices.
Be careful not to listen to the marketing brochures about btu output. The numbers are often fake. Instead, seek the EPA list that discloses btu output range in an apples to apples way, or at least the closest thing you’re going to get.

Be careful not to listen to the marketing brochures about btu output. The numbers are often fake. Instead, seek the EPA list that discloses btu output range in an apples to apples way, or at least the closest thing you’re going to get.
And please remember that there are different test methods, using different end points. Total input ÷ duration = Btu's/hr (over simplified) but critically important.

I had a cheaper US stove stove 2500 for a few years, I got tired of the 2.5cu fire box, really only 2cu once you factor the ash build up after a few days of burning. The stove functioned as advertised, kept my house warm, the secondary reburn made a decent light show.
Quality was an issue, I had to clean the chimney and in order to do that I had to remove the baffle which required removing the re-burn tubes, all the screws holding the tubes snapped, so I had to re-tap all the holes, then the door gasket when and the oem gasket wasnt fitting correctly, then I noticed some cracks in the stove so it was time to replace.
I choose BK because I was in dis-belief of the long burn times, and ease of use, I would say I held that as a top reason, the thought of not knowing I would say, I reasoned that if someone was saying they were getting 20hrs of burn time it would be a good run for me to get 12hrs, I took the gamble and bought a princess brand new in got it in Nov 2014
Well when you buy a premium product, you get premium results when used as advertised, dry wood and I havent looked back, replaced my cat twice since owning, clean out the ash every 3 weeks or so and I get 18-24hr burns when the weather is in the 30's & 40's, switch to 12hr reloads when we from to upper 20s to zeros, the stove has been great to me and hopefully have many more good seasons with it.
I did have an over draft issue with mine (tested with a meter) and installed a pipe damper, now I run within spec and love it. Also wood consumption dropped from 5.5cords to 3.5 - 4 cords a winter.

Here is a heck of a deal:
Aansorge,

Thanks for the find. I'll be picking up the Ashford Saturday morning! Funny I searched Facebook marketplace and Craigslist so I don't know how I missed this one. Didn't see a single newer model blaze king. Only the super old models.

I need to get your search magic!

It is on a 12" tall hearth so I'm planning to crib up a piano dolly and slide it off the hearth. Strap it to the dolly, roll it out the nearest door, across a deck, and use an engine hoist to lift it in the truck.

Once it's home I can lift it with my deere 410g pretty close to the front door. No steps to final destination!

Those legs look fragile, was considering removing them for transport, but I don't know what the bottom looks like with the ash pan removed. Guess I can figure it out when I get there.

Definitely planned on removing top, sides, door, and bricks. Looks pretty easy, and might save someone's back.

Reactions: aansorge
Aansorge,

Thanks for the find. I'll be picking up the Ashford Saturday morning! Funny I searched Facebook marketplace and Craigslist so I don't know how I missed this one. Didn't see a single newer model blaze king. Only the super old models.

I need to get your search magic!

It is on a 12" tall hearth so I'm planning to crib up a piano dolly and slide it off the hearth. Strap it to the dolly, roll it out the nearest door, across a deck, and use an engine hoist to lift it in the truck.

Once it's home I can lift it with my deere 410g pretty close to the front door. No steps to final destination!

Those legs look fragile, was considering removing them for transport, but I don't know what the bottom looks like with the ash pan removed. Guess I can figure it out when I get there.

Definitely planned on removing top, sides, door, and bricks. Looks pretty easy, and might save someone's back.
Be on the safe side and order a cat now, comes with its own gasket and high density door gasket (you'll need both eventually if not right away)

Be on the safe side and order a cat now, comes with its own gasket and high density door gasket (you'll need both eventually if not right away)
Totally plan on exactly that. I have lots of time, and I'm gonna get it home and give it a good look before I order the parts.

Ive had many different stoves, vermont casting, Jotuls, I had been reading the BK thread on Hearth.com and went with what I felt was the best bang, The Vermont casting stove I had was a hunk of junk right from the get go. They might have been good at one time but the one i got in 2006 for my shop was a very bad stove. I replaced it with a BK princess and was pretty amazed by the performance, long clean burns. I had a Jotul F500 in my house and was never really impressed so I went for another BK ashford 30.1 for the house. You get what you pay for