Blaze king princess insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Killbill

Jan 14, 2017
New jersey
This is my second season with my princess insert and I feel like I'm missing out on these great burn times people have reported. With the t stat on low my fire will be a bed of coals in 3 to 4 hours and be out( not completely but it takes some work to get it going again) in around 6-7 hours. I tried it will fan on and fan off. When I have the t stat on low it looks the same as when it's on high I have huge flames and I can hear the air being pulled into the stove. I have a 25 ft uninsulated chimney and I have a great draft the flames are in the front of the stove it just seems to burn very hot on all settings. Any advice would be great thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: YAGER85
This is my second season with my princess insert and I feel like I'm missing out on these great burn times people have reported. With the t stat on low my fire will be a bed of coals in 3 to 4 hours and be out( not completely but it takes some work to get it going again) in around 6-7 hours. I tried it will fan on and fan off. When I have the t stat on low it looks the same as when it's on high I have huge flames and I can hear the air being pulled into the stove. I have a 25 ft uninsulated chimney and I have a great draft the flames are in the front of the stove it just seems to burn very hot on all settings. Any advice would be great thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to see if you got the issue fixed?

I am on my first year with the Princess Insert. I have a 30' insulated chimney and regularly pull 0.25wc on my magnehellic. In laymans terms, that is a super strong draft. I have no problem in getting a 12 hour burn on low with a 3/4 full stove of cherry. I realize this is an old thread that you resurrected, but assumed you may be experiencing a similar issue. Conditions described by the OP are a symptom of either a bad door seal, bypass gasket, or something so simple as not completely closing the bypass lever. The latter needs to 'click" down or cam over as it is stated. Simply pressing the handle down is not enough to ensure a tight seal on the bypass.

Reactions: YAGER85 and jetsam
The OP had high draft and a gasket problem both, I am guessing. 3-4 hours to burn down to coals is what that stove should be doing at its maximum setting, not on low.

That post is 3 years old, and the OP has not posted since then.

(Also, failing to close the bypass all the way doesn't cause excessive air to enter the stove.)

Last edited:
I am on my first year with the Princess Insert. I have a 30' insulated chimney and regularly pull 0.25wc on my magnehellic. In laymans terms, that is a super strong draft. I have no problem in getting a 12 hour burn on low with a 3/4 full stove of cherry. I realize this is an old thread that you resurrected, but assumed you may be experiencing a similar issue. Conditions described by the OP are a symptom of either a bad door seal, bypass gasket, or something so simple as not completely closing the bypass lever. The latter needs to 'click" down or cam over as it is stated. Simply pressing the handle down is not enough to ensure a tight seal on the bypass.

Are you happy with your Princess Insert? How is the new 2020 stove compared to the previous model?

Reactions: bholler

Please give us updates on your princess insert :))

I can offer no insight into the pre 2020 insert as this is my first wood burning appliance. I did a self install, to include removing the tile liner, adding an insulated liner, top cap and new chimney crown. Added block off plate, insulated the back of the exterior masonry fireplace, and then installed the Princess Insert.

Currently running 24/7 since Nov 4 here in the Mid Atlantic states, not far from Trenton NJ.

Pros: There has been no smoke rollout, no smoke smell in the house, no odor whatsoever. I have really strong draft on my 30' liner so virtually everything goes up the flue, to include fly ash when opening the door.

I get at a minimum 12 hour burns, reloading around 8:00am and 8:00pm. Depending on outside temp the insert will keep the main family room and open kitchen 74, rest of 1st floor 68, upstairs not so good. I have a traditional colonial house am using fans to move the air but not much gets into the 2nd floor. That is my floor plan issue, not the insert. House is probably not that tight, when I use the IR gun on the ceiling above the unit it reads 84. Seven feet away on the flat exterior wall it reads 66. I loose lots of heat to the envelope due to sub-par insulation (circa 1983 construction with aluminum siding).

I have been burning mostly cherry with some ash and a little hard maple. Never an issue on hot restarts, always sufficient coals to relight.

Combustor is easy to take off, on a cold start it is less than 15 min to reach active state.

Part that sticks out from the face does radiate heat, I have run the fan all the time however and there have been no power outages. SIL likes the country look of the unit, my wife is not a fan of the smaller glass. Have never had the unit get above 640 on the top with the IR gun, still shy about over-firing although I know that is almost impossible. So can address peak heat output yet (and we have not had a real cold spell yet).

Unit is very responsive to the thermostat. If I turn it to low in one twist, the fire dies out in about 10 sec or less. Turning from low to high the fire will engage in about 30 sec (depending on remaining wood or coals), but heat does increase pretty quick. Ash lip catches the wood droppings, nice design.

Cons: Fan is sort of loud, like a microwave, but has not interfered with the TV or music. I do wish the CFM from the fan was more, it blows mostly from the left side out the top, does not pull much cold air from the right side which is where the thermostat is.

Unit was heavy to install. I used an engine hoist to move it around the house and raise it up to the hearth level. Difficult for one person to move by themselves.

With a stronger fan I feel like I could get deeper heat penetration into the house, but I may be mistaken.

Overall I am extremely satisfied, and would recommend this product to anyone. It seems bullet proof to run, the heat is very soft and steady, but most importantly, the unit needs no babysitting. I load, close bypass when active, set thermostat and walk away for 12 hours. For the first 2 months of use my electric savings were about 30%, cant say for the back up propane since I have not had a delivery. I figure in the range of $400 in savings so far this winter in propane, so I am looking at a 2.5 year recapture.

Reactions: YAGER85
I can offer no insight into the pre 2020 insert as this is my first wood burning appliance. I did a self install, to include removing the tile liner, adding an insulated liner, top cap and new chimney crown. Added block off plate, insulated the back of the exterior masonry fireplace, and then installed the Princess Insert.

Currently running 24/7 since Nov 4 here in the Mid Atlantic states, not far from Trenton NJ.

Pros: There has been no smoke rollout, no smoke smell in the house, no odor whatsoever. I have really strong draft on my 30' liner so virtually everything goes up the flue, to include fly ash when opening the door.

I get at a minimum 12 hour burns, reloading around 8:00am and 8:00pm. Depending on outside temp the insert will keep the main family room and open kitchen 74, rest of 1st floor 68, upstairs not so good. I have a traditional colonial house am using fans to move the air but not much gets into the 2nd floor. That is my floor plan issue, not the insert. House is probably not that tight, when I use the IR gun on the ceiling above the unit it reads 84. Seven feet away on the flat exterior wall it reads 66. I loose lots of heat to the envelope due to sub-par insulation (circa 1983 construction with aluminum siding).

I have been burning mostly cherry with some ash and a little hard maple. Never an issue on hot restarts, always sufficient coals to relight.

Combustor is easy to take off, on a cold start it is less than 15 min to reach active state.

Part that sticks out from the face does radiate heat, I have run the fan all the time however and there have been no power outages. SIL likes the country look of the unit, my wife is not a fan of the smaller glass. Have never had the unit get above 640 on the top with the IR gun, still shy about over-firing although I know that is almost impossible. So can address peak heat output yet (and we have not had a real cold spell yet).

Unit is very responsive to the thermostat. If I turn it to low in one twist, the fire dies out in about 10 sec or less. Turning from low to high the fire will engage in about 30 sec (depending on remaining wood or coals), but heat does increase pretty quick. Ash lip catches the wood droppings, nice design.

Cons: Fan is sort of loud, like a microwave, but has not interfered with the TV or music. I do wish the CFM from the fan was more, it blows mostly from the left side out the top, does not pull much cold air from the right side which is where the thermostat is.

Unit was heavy to install. I used an engine hoist to move it around the house and raise it up to the hearth level. Difficult for one person to move by themselves.

With a stronger fan I feel like I could get deeper heat penetration into the house, but I may be mistaken.

Overall I am extremely satisfied, and would recommend this product to anyone. It seems bullet proof to run, the heat is very soft and steady, but most importantly, the unit needs no babysitting. I load, close bypass when active, set thermostat and walk away for 12 hours. For the first 2 months of use my electric savings were about 30%, cant say for the back up propane since I have not had a delivery. I figure in the range of $400 in savings so far this winter in propane, so I am looking at a 2.5 year recapture.
Fantastic review. Thank you very much Sir.