Blaze King Princess Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nep216

Hearth Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
west central missouri
I am new to hearth.com and it looks like there is a lot of information here. My question is simple. I am going to purchase a Blaze King Princess fireplace insert and wanted to know more information about the chimney. I currently have a brick fireplace and chimney, so do I need to have piping all the way from my insert to the top of my chimney, or can I run a sweep/elbow up from the insert past the smoke shelf? The brick and mortar on the interior and exterior look to be in good shape, so is this a needed expense? Any help or comments with this is appreciated. Thanks!!

Welcome nep, nice insert. If the chimney doesn't have a tile liner, then yes, it will need a full flue liner. Regardless though, I'd do a full liner. This is not that big an expense. It will improve stove performance, ease of cleaning, and safety.

Yes, especially if there is no current tile liner.

BeGreen, thanks for the info. You mentioned a tiled chimney. I looked outside at the top of my chimney and see approximately six to eight inches of what appears to be a square tile liner that the cap to my chimney sits on. Could I assume that this tile liner runs the entire length of the chimney? The cap is approx. 2' x 1'. IF (big if) this tile runs the entire length of the chimney, would I need the liner like you mentioned earlier. If I look down the chimney, I remember it being brick inside. Would they have bricked around the concrete liner? Thanks for your patience.

Welcome and you are going to love the BK. Have you had a sweep look at the chimney?

I am inclined to agree with BG that you should do a full insulated liner given how low the BK will burn.

If you saw brick looking down your chimney, it wasn't lined all the way down, so you would need an insulated liner. Another thing to look at is the inside diameter of your chimney. Your insert has a 6" exhaust and it will burn best if you have 6" all the way up.

BK recommends your unit have as close to a 6in diameter / 28 in ² flue as possible. Too large a flue could accumulate more creosote and reduce performance on your unit. Dropping a liner down a typical fireplace flue is very easy. If you have a 10x10 ID fireplace flue an insulated liner isn't difficult at all and well worth it.

IF IF its a internal chimney you can get away with just a liner and not have to have a insulated liner but if the chimney is external(the chimney runs on the exterior of your house) then insulated liner is a must

Status
Not open for further replies.