Blaze King Uphoria

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always heard the pine thing came from burning wet hard wood all year filling the chimney with creosote. Then running out and using some pine that was laying around and dries fast. It would burn hot and set the chimney on fire. Your version is just as plausible though.

As far as cat life. Yes some people get longer but most people here get 2 to 3 years. Most of my customers (if they care to replace their cat) get in that range if they heat full time. And the cat manufacturers generally agree 15000.
Just to clarify one point, the cat manufacturers do not agree on 15000. Cat resellers do. As I posted previously, the largest cat mfg now no longer provides to a major cat reseller due to the claims.

For some reason, field use does not seem to back up lab testing. We continue to see about 3 yrs. average lifespan for folks heating 24/7.

For some reason, field use does not seem to back up lab testing. We continue to see about 3 yrs. average lifespan for folks heating 24/7.
From some members, yes. But I’m not convinced that’s the norm. I installed my current pair of cats mid-season 2018, and I’m now likely around 18,000 hours on at least one of them (the B3 version), with no real noticeable difference in performance from last year. It’s possible the special new coating may be to thank for this, I’m not sure, but I do suspect I’ll be using it past the 20,000 hours mark.

I also think at least some people are fooled by the hyper-reactive nature of a brand new cat, when describing their noticed difference in performance, upon replacement. Compare year three to year two, not year three to week 1 on a fresh cat.

Highbeam has legit evidence of a change in performance at 12-14k hours, so I do believe he has reason to replace that often. But that may be unique to his setup and usage profile, I’m certainly not seeing anything remotely similar to him.

It would be interesting to see the median age of cats sent in on claims against BK’s warranty on cats.

Last edited:
From some members, yes. But I’m not convinced that’s the norm. I installed my current pair of cats mid-season 2018, and I’m now likely around 18,000 hours on at least one of them (the B3 version), with no real noticeable difference in performance from last year. It’s possible the special new coating may be to thank for this, I’m not sure, but I do suspect I’ll be using it past the 20,000 hours mark.

I also think at least some people are fooled by the hyper-reactive nature of a brand new cat, when describing their noticed difference in performance, upon replacement. Compare year three to year two, not year three to week 1 on a fresh cat.

Highbeam has legit evidence of a change in performance at 12-14k hours, so I do believe he has reason to replace that often. But that may be unique to his setup and usage profile, I’m certainly not seeing anything remotely similar to him.

It would be interesting to see the median age of cats sent in on claims against BK’s warranty on cats.
I see the roughly 3 years myself with my customers and the majority of people here. The regency hybrids are going a bit longer than straight cats we see here but maybe another year.

And I am closing the thread. The op has and asked to have his account closed

Status
Not open for further replies.