Blaze King vs. Osburn, Majestic Dutch West & Pacific Energy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm getting ready to buy my first wood stove. The house is 2650 square feet (2 story), well built, constructed in 2006. I've been leaning heavily toward the Blaze King Ashford, which should be adequate given that we live in the Pacific Northwest, where winters are generally quite moderate.

This one stove installer said he would install the Ashford if I bought it through a dealer or he could get me a wholesale price if I go with one of his stoves. He carries the Osburn (just one model, the 2400, seems large enough for our house), the Majestic Dutch West, and the whole line of Pacific Energy stoves (which he claims are high end). He claims that if I go with one of his stoves, he might be able to save me a thousand dollars. I have an offer on the Ashford at $2600 (which is $400 below retail).

I'm wondering if those with a experience with these stoves might provide any insights or advice. What I like about the Blaze King are the long burn times and efficient use of wood. Would be great if I could load it just once a day and keep the house at a steady temperature. I also like that it's designed for the softer woods of the Pacific Northwest.

Do any of these other stoves have features that would make up for the special attributes of the Ashford, particularly in light of the prospect of a larger discount?

I think the Bk will make you quite happy and saving a couple hundred now may be something you regret later...what's that saying?

Personally, I'd stay away from the Dutchwest for a few months or a year until the new company proves themselves. The older owners of that company proved poor in warranty and customer service. Not to say the current stove are bad - but they must prove they are truly a "new" company, IMHO.

If it were me, in our climate I would consider the Ashford first (particularly at that price) and a PE Summit second. The caveats with the Ashford being you must respect the needs of a cat stove. They are more complex. That means you already have a good stash of truly seasoned wood. And that you don't burn anything that could foul or poison the cat. These are not big restrictions but if there are multiple persons running the stove and you want more flexibility then I would get the Summit.

Last edited:
In my experience, cat stoves can handle wood that is less than seasoned even better than a non-cat. The cat stove has the bypass feature, which will allow you to let the stove run wide open until that less than stellar wood gets the water boiled out of it. A non cat without a bypass doesn't have any other option but to run it all around the baffle.
I'm not promoting the use of unseasoned wood, don't get me wrong here. But my cat stoves have been more tolerant of less than stellar wood than my non-cats.

I just went through a few months of burning damp wood successfully in a non-cat. Not the best heat until it charred but the fire was good and predictable.

"I just went through a few months of burning damp wood successfully in a non-cat. Not the best heat until it charred but the fire was good and predictable."

Hearth.com mods never burn damp wood. You must me mistaken. ;lol

In my experience, cat stoves can handle wood that is less than seasoned even better than a non-cat. The cat stove has the bypass feature, which will allow you to let the stove run wide open until that less than stellar wood gets the water boiled out of it. A non cat without a bypass doesn't have any other option but to run it all around the baffle.
I'm not promoting the use of unseasoned wood, don't get me wrong here. But my cat stoves have been more tolerant of less than stellar wood than my non-cats.

Webby, are you familiar with the other three stoves/brands in question? If so, would you say I'm best off sticking with the Ashford?

Parallax,

Your getting some really good advice from top members here in the previous posts..............Don't overthink it ;)

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Webby, are you familiar with the other three stoves/brands in question? If so, would you say I'm best off sticking with the Ashford?
I am.
The Ashford is frickin sweet!
Osburn is Ok, nothing special at all.
The Dutchwest is semi hidious, and will not make the heat you need. The XL might, but then you need an 8" flue.
PE makes a great product, they are well built and should make a nice heater for you.

I'm getting ready to buy my first wood stove. The house is 2650 square feet (2 story), well built, constructed in 2006. I've been leaning heavily toward the Blaze King Ashford, which should be adequate given that we live in the Pacific Northwest, where winters are generally quite moderate.

This one stove installer said he would install the Ashford if I bought it through a dealer or he could get me a wholesale price if I go with one of his stoves. He carries the Osburn (just one model, the 2400, seems large enough for our house), the Majestic Dutch West, and the whole line of Pacific Energy stoves (which he claims are high end). He claims that if I go with one of his stoves, he might be able to save me a thousand dollars. I have an offer on the Ashford at $2600 (which is $400 below retail).

I'm wondering if those with a experience with these stoves might provide any insights or advice. What I like about the Blaze King are the long burn times and efficient use of wood. Would be great if I could load it just once a day and keep the house at a steady temperature. I also like that it's designed for the softer woods of the Pacific Northwest.

Do any of these other stoves have features that would make up for the special attributes of the Ashford, particularly in light of the prospect of a larger discount?

Lots going on here - here are some thoughts in no particular order

1) Scratch the Dutchwest. It's garbage.

2) Don't undersell our winters. We may not get deep freezes with the regularity of other regions, our winters are longer, grayer, and wetter.

3) Don't buy into the softwood vs hardwood inferiority complex. As a corollary, BKs are great stoves (and made right here in WA) but they are no more designed for the "softer woods of the Pacific Northwest" than Microsoft products are designed for the damp PNW weather.

4) Even though I love BKs, and even though they are made in Canadia, I'm a PE guy. IMO their biggest advantages are as follows - They are very simple to operate, they are tolerant of less than perfect wood (BKs need perfect wood), they are well built and very utilitarian

Hey Webby, thank you!

Big Redd, comment number 3, above, literally had me laughing into my breakfast. :)

In advocating the PE over the BK, those qualities you outline in 4 seem like good things to have in a stove. But I'm also interested in long, slow burn times and efficient usage of wood. Are you familiar enough with both stoves to compare the two directly? Right now, based mainly on Webby's consistent praise for the BK, but also on what many others on these forums have said, I'm still leaning in that direction (but also still open to other possibilities).

Silly, everyone knows Microsoft developed Windows to bring more light into PNW homes during rainy winters.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Lots going on here - here are some thoughts in no particular order

1) Scratch the Dutchwest. It's garbage.

2) Don't undersell our winters. We may not get deep freezes with the regularity of other regions, our winters are longer, grayer, and wetter.

3) Don't buy into the softwood vs hardwood inferiority complex. As a corollary, BKs are great stoves (and made right here in WA) but they are no more designed for the "softer woods of the Pacific Northwest" than Microsoft products are designed for the damp PNW weather.

4) Even though I love BKs, and even though they are made in Canadia, I'm a PE guy. IMO their biggest advantages are as follows - They are very simple to operate, they are tolerant of less than perfect wood (BKs need perfect wood), they are well built and very utilitarian
1st of all the cat DW is not garbage at all! It just won't heat his space.
Blaze King stoves excel with soft wood! They can stretch out a very long burn with soft wood, almost as long as a load of hardwood. This trait is very unique due to the design of a BK.

Blaze Kings do not need perfect wood! This is a myth to say the least!

Last edited:
1st of all the cat DW is not garbage at all! It just won't heat his space.
Blaze King stoves excel with soft wood! They can stretch out a very long burn with soft wood, almost as long as a load of hardwood. This trait is very unique due to the design of a BK.

Blaze Kings do not need perfect wood! This is a myth to say the least!

Thanks Webby. I know the Blaze King is well built too. You've already said it's an old design, modified to place a cast iron case around a steel burn chamber. You've also previously said that there's virtually no maintenance with such a stove. So I'm not seeing any downside.

Silly, everyone knows Microsoft developed Windows to bring more light into PNW homes during rainy winters.

Definitely brought a lot of German cars, designer clothes and fancy granite counter tops to a region once best known for flannel apparel and simple lifestyles.

I have an offer on the Ashford at $2600 (which is $400 below retail).
$2,600 is $900 less then what they are sold around here.

I have a Blaze King and a burn tube High efficiency fireplace. The blaze king is much better at dealing with less than ideal wood.

Thanks for all your responses. I think I'm completely on board with the Blaze King. Just want to see one in person to make sure we like it. Right now, that's a challenge. None of the dealers seem to have one.

The princess and blaze king to me look like big mamma/pappa stoves for those who really love heat and wood and don't care so much what the stove looks like just that it works the best.

The ashford looks very typical of your "average" wood stove without as much of the extra fancy trim but still more than just a utilitarian stove.

I wouldn't exactly say BK makes pretty stoves, but they certainly make them awesome.

Reactions: webby3650
Having both, though you'd be looking at the Summit/T6 rather than the 2 cu ft stoves, I can say the BK is much easier and more predictable to operate. Not that burning the PE is rocket science, but I feel the BK is just easier overall. Get it up to temp, close the bypass, set the dial where you want it. Done.

My sister also has a BKK, and owns a share of the PE (it is in a weekend place that we bought together), and she feels same.

I think you can't go wrong either way. It is nice to see the fire now and then, but IMO the other attributes of the BK outweigh the clean glass.

Thanks for the feeback Charles, Jeff. I get that we would be giving up some of the beauty potential (both of the stove and the burn view) for super slow and efficient burns that last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.