block off plate - before & after

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gunpowda

Sep 6, 2017
maryland
Hey Guys - I have read through all of the forums/web etc about the pros of installing a block off plate with an insert, esp on an exterior fireplace. I have been having a hard time finding a contractor that will install one. I found one that will install one, however he is saying its a waste and I probably will not notice a difference. This will be my second year burning and I want to maximize the stoves performance - BKAF25 insert. So my questions it: Does anyone have an experience adding a block off plate on a system that was unchanged? (same stove, liner, cap) etc after burning without one? Thx!

Hey Guys - I have read through all of the forums/web etc about the pros of installing a block off plate with an insert, esp on an exterior fireplace. I have been having a hard time finding a contractor that will install one. I found one that will install one, however he is saying its a waste and I probably will not notice a difference. This will be my second year burning and I want to maximize the stoves performance - BKAF25 insert. So my questions it: Does anyone have an experience adding a block off plate on a system that was unchanged? (same stove, liner, cap) etc after burning without one? Thx!

I have done it. Pull the stove, measure twice, at HD/Lowes get a sheet stainless steel and Roxul. Cut the steel to size, install and stuff Roxul on top. Makes a huge difference especially in an external fireplace. Fairly easy to do within a few hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpine1
We had a Jotul C550 owner here several years back that was ready to sell the insert. The complaint was not enough heat. They came here originally asking for larger stoves that would fit, but there weren't many. We suggested they try a block-off plate and finally they did it. After a short while they got back to us and said it made a day and night difference and they were going to keep the Jotul. With an exterior chimney I would always put one in. Remember, the contractor isn't running the stove or paying to heat your house.

Finally found someone to install a block off plate. Anyone have any before/after experience in regards to overall insert performance and heat output?

For those that have a block off plate...did you experience any chimney moisture issues?

I have the same stove as you, I did not put a block off plate in and I have an exterior chimney. In restrospect I wish I would have but no way I'm pulling the stove. It was damn near a miracle it fit and connected up with the liner with how tight the install was for me. That being said...i'm sure the block off plate helps more if you have a large opening and a large void in the chimney space. It would help less so if you have a tight fit already and less open space. That amount of void may impact whether or not you see a night and day difference.

Also pay attention to the quality of the air seal at the top where the liner exits the masonry. You're trying to create a dead air space inside the old flue.

I did not pull my stove. I was able to pull off the top piece of the cast surround and struggle to work in there. I got cardboard pieces to fit well around the liner, then made a 2 piece block off plate out of 26ga galvanized sheet metal. Clamped the sheet metal to a workbench with a 2x4 at the edge and a rubber mallet to get some bends. Self-tapping hex-head stainless steel screws into the metal box of the fireplace, 600F tape around the perimeter, and some rope gasket near the liner. I can get the stove room a few degrees warmer than before. I am slow when doing projects and it took at least 8 hours over a few weeknights in the middle of January, but it was worth it.

I have the same stove (BK Ashford 25) and out of ALL of the salespeople in the Pittsburgh area, NONE would install a blockoff plate. All of them said it was a waste and no one was interested.

After watching the install I see why. It took about 2 hours to drop a liner in and hook it up to the stove and assemble the stove. THe block off plate would have taken at least that amount of time.

My stove does fine keeping my house 68+ during the coldest winter days here. My house is only 1500 sq ft. though.

I don't believe it is required by code and it is a custom job requiring a smidgen of thought and effort. These are the reasons that professionals will try to avoid the blockoff plate. They make more money with less effort elsewhere.

I have done it. Pull the stove, measure twice, at HD/Lowes get a sheet stainless steel and Roxul. Cut the steel to size, install and stuff Roxul on top. Makes a huge difference especially in an external fireplace. Fairly easy to do within a few hours.

You don't even need to pull the stove. I made a cardboard template, cut the sheet (with 2" edges on sides for mounting), then cut a channel for the sheet to go around the stove pipe.

Installed some lead mollies, mounted the back of the plate, stuffed the roxul above, then mounted the sides and front. It did seem to make a significant difference in the amount of heat thrown off by the stove.

I'm getting quotes now for a re-installation of our insert (we moved). One installer quoted $125 to make the block off plate, another just included it in his total (reasonable) price.

I dont have one because my stove room is too hot most of the time anyway. This is mostly due to the layout/shape of my house.