Block off plate gurus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

creek chub

Sep 28, 2015
Va
Quick question for the gurus. I attempted to make a block off plate out of sheet metal. My sheet metal skills leave a lot of room for improvement.

I’m too embarrassed to show pics for reference but I need high temp tape to smooth over my mistakes. What temp rated tape should I use? Local auto parts store has some rated to 400F and online has many options up to 600F flue tape.

Any suggestions?

What are you trying to tape up? Seams, edges? Either way, I think you'd want higher than 400, at least that's the way I'd go as I'd over engineer it just so it withstands more abuse over time. I've never measured fireplace temps like.

I’m hoping to tape seams. I couldn’t pull me insert out and had to install the block off plate in sections