Block off plate help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

therealdbeau

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2018
VA
Hello all. I had my stove installed "professionally" last year and had a feeling they cut some corners. I finally got around to pulling my insert in anticipation for this coming season for two reason; one being I wanted to see what they did and I want to install a block off plate.

Pictures follow of what I found. I'd appreciate some thoughts on how I should tackle installing the block off plate. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

As I see the difficulty is filling that gap where the three bricks are missing. Should I remove the remaining bricks and span that gap or maybe get the block above the remains of the metal flu? My plan was to get a sheet of foil-backed rigid roxul and cram it up there. I can take more photos if helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_200541.jpg
    IMG_20190730_200541.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited: