Block off plate

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
2,509
Southeast CT; NW Maine
Hi all, I’m thinking about adding an after the fact block off plate in my masonry fireplace, which has a wood insert. A previous installer had done a bit of a hatchet job on the back fire brick wall of the fire box and I do not have an even surface there to attach a block off plate on that back part of the block off plate.I’m wondering if other folks have run into this and how to compensate for rough uneven masonry when doing a block off plate.
 
Can you smooth out the masonry? It doesn’t have to be pretty. You can probably use tapcons partially driven in to give you something to key into.
 
How bad is it and how wide of an area? Is it something that a gasket could fill?
 
I’ll try to get some pictures up by tomorrow of the area. But to answer your question, it’s a fairly wide area and fairly “bad“. The previous guy roughed up the area and the surface of that old fire brick looks like jagged rock could find in nature.