Block off Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cpw5062

Dec 26, 2017
Carlisle, PA
Recently installed freestanding wood stove in my basement which is vented through an existing fireplace. I do not have a block off plate installed yet and was wondering if I could block off the whole fireplace opening (with a 6" hole for the stove pipe). I don't care about aesthetic appearance but am wondering if it will be as affective as blocking off the fireplace damper like most people do. Any help appreciated!

How is your stove installed, as an insert in the existing fireplace, or in front of the fireplace with only the pipe running through the fireplace?

fc25f9000233e20824de94e7516f7f8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 218870

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could put a plate over the face but you will need to pull it every time you clean so you can pull off that tee cap. I think covering the face would look better but a plate at the damper w ould be easier to work on

You could do a 2pc plate, which would serve your purpose, and be easier to disassemble & reassemble for cleanouts.

Reactions: cpw5062
Whether you block the opening at the location of the damper or at the front face of the fireplace, make sure you also stuff the opening with roxul. My understanding is that a metal block off plate on it's own is not nearly as effective as a metal block off plate paired with a bunch of roxul on the other side of the plate.

Reactions: cpw5062
we just had a new Lopi 1750 installed and don't believe they installed a block off plate. I assume that is the problem with getting the heat to circulate our first floor. looks like they just stuffed rock insulation around the stove pipe in the fireplace. we thought possibly the stove was pushed too far into the fireplace opening...any thoughts?