Blower Operations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raiderfan

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2008
Western MA
Just wondering how and when you guys use your blowers on your wood stoves. Meaning, at what stove top temps do you turn them on and what temps do you turn them off (at what point do you find that they've cooled the stove down too much), and what speeds do you guys leave them at?

Right now, I've been turning mine on when the stove top hits 550 or more and turning it off when I see the stove top temp is at 300. The blower seems to cool the stove around 100-150*, from what I have noticed, depending on how high I've been running it. Mine has an "Auto" feature, but haven't really chose to run it that way, yet.

I just turn mine on low once the fire is at the stage where the box is full and its time to shut down the air. I dont measure anything really. Just figure the blower on low is quiet and helps move some air around.

My choice of running the blower has little to do with high stove temp and more to do with room temp and noise tolerance level. If the stove isn't hot enough, there's not much point sucking heat out of it with the blower. Doing so only serves to delay the stove getting to the sweet spot. If the house is warm enough, there's no point running the blower either. Might as well let the surplus go up the chimney rather than have to open a window.

LLigetfa said:
My choice of running the blower has little to do with high stove temp and more to do with room temp and noise tolerance level. If the stove isn't hot enough, there's not much point sucking heat out of it with the blower. Doing so only serves to delay the stove getting to the sweet spot. If the house is warm enough, there's no point running the blower either. Might as well let the surplus go up the chimney rather than have to open a window.
Nothing will catch fire from the heat behind the stove well the wall. and my stove is 20 inches away.

Status
Not open for further replies.