Blower temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdelmonte

Oct 18, 2008
midcoast maine
I have a Breckwell Big E that isn't getting my house warm. Does anyone have any idea what the temperature out of the blower should be on each of the 5 settings? Thanx!

ssman said:
I have a Quad. I put a meat thermometer in the tubes that goes up to 190 degrees. The stove pegged the thermometer in a short time. It probably would have gone higher!

Mine was 90 degrees on the lowest setting and 165 on the highest.

I have a harman p38 and new pellets that I wasnt sure about quality.
With the stove cranked up 3/4's of the way up..it was keeping the room the stove was in at 72 and the bedroom about 64. Much colder than last years run with different pellets. I started to think the pellets were not able to put out the heat that I was used too from last year,
when I realized I still hadnt removed the Air Conditioner from the back bedroom window(Figuring it didnt affect it much).
Once I removed it the living room went up to 78 and the bedroom at 70 with the stove ON about 1/2...which is where it was last year.
Im truly amazed at the difference in heat levels in the house because Of the one airconditioner in the window..allowing all sorts of cold air in(standing in front of it I could feel the breeze of the cold air being drawn thru it).
If I used outside air this difffence probably wouldnt have been as dramatic, but I honestly couldnt believe that the air was being drawn in thru the air conditioner as much as it was..goes to show the negative pressure affect that the stove puts in the house.

What brand of pellets are you using? In my Big E the brand of pellets make a big difference in heat output. With Athens (lousy) pellets, #1 is about 90 and on #3 with Athens it is about 160 tops. With Green Team or Lignetics pellets it is much higher. Low setting would be about 140 and #3 the temp would be up to 250. So, like I said, it depends alot on the pellets and also I believe on your air setting. Try to get the best airflow so that your pellets burn well without a big buildup. With the Athens pellets it is impossible to get them to burn thoroughly. Tremendous amount of ash also. But, I have three tons so I have to use them. Live and learn!!

ssman said:
I have a Quad. I put a meat thermometer in the tubes that goes up to 190 degrees. The stove pegged the thermometer in a short time. It probably would have gone higher!

I don't have a quad, but for shitz and giggles I put a meat thermometer in my blower tubes ( I have 6) the right side goes up to 136 degrees and the left side goes above 190 degrees. Any one know what would cause this and how to fix it or is this normal on stoves?

OK, here's the deal. After taking blower temperatures from in front of my Big E, I call the Breckwell tech support and give him my results, which were as follows:

On setting # 1 ................ temp 90 degrees

On setting # 2 ............... temp 115 degrees

On setting # 3 ............... temp 135 degrees

On setting # 4 ............... temp 145 degrees

On setting # 5 ............... temp 165 degrees

So now he says to me that the stove is functioning normally, there is nothing wrong with the stove, there's nothing more he can do. That couldn't be right could it? What temperature should I expect to get out of the blower to be able to heat my 1200 sq ft house on 2 floors. It's not even cold out yet (compared to what it's going to be) & I can't even get my house warm now.

Status
Not open for further replies.