Boiler Piping Principles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2014
Ontario
Morning everyone.

I am making a few modifications to my EBW system in the next couple of weeks, but wanted to do my home work prior to the plumber coming in as I don't have 100% confidence that he knows what is right for wood boilers. If anyone has a chance could they look at the following link from Taco, specifically from the 'Design' section applied to 'Figure 3' which is what I'm doing (going to upgrade to a 4-way mixing valve from a 3-way) the system loop goes to my storage :

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/Mixing2w3w4w.pdf

I know its an older link (2005), but the 3 notes they include seem to make sense for proper installation and I know for sure that my current setup does not employ note 1 or note 3, anyone have comments on this? while I'm switching out the valve should I ensure these principles are followed?

Also, I'm not so sure this is a big deal but the circulator is shown at the top coming from the 'heat' supply(top) from the boiler in a pushing effect through the loop, my current setup is the opposite where I'm pulling water down pushing to the 'cold' return side(bottom) of the boiler.

thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.