Bottom of the Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Start your stack with junk wood as the first course and only dip into it if you get desperate.

This is one of the two reasons I build my racks to start 6" off the ground. The other is so the dogs have no problem patrolling the yard and thus keeps any animals from thinking that 6 cords is a multi-family dwelling!!! It also does make it easy in most of the winter since the bottom isn't frozen; unless it was last year when you would have had to made racks start at least 18" off the ground! Whew, that was a lot of snow last year.

But to answer the question from my perspective, no I have not found much of a difference in the bottom layers and that is checking with mm.

Never noticed any difference . . . then again I guess I wouldn't be able to really tell since the wood spends the first year outside and the next year in a woodshed . . . and I have no idea where the wood that was on the bottom is located in the woodshed -- on top, on bottom or in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.