bought a Bosca Spirit 500.. need low limit switch- opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
So I bought a Bosca Spirit 500 that needs a low limit switch. Previous owner lives in a heavily wooded
area and has gone to a wood furnace. ! year old Unit.

I did a search and got a few tips .. wondering if anyone would chime in and help a first time
pellet virgin on how to approach the use of this unit.
First off I need to purchase a low limit switch.. any vendors on here?

A few specs. I am in Utah 4500' elevation, base of the rockies ( literally) I don't plan on 100% heat for my home with this Unit.
I am natural gas heat and its probably cheaper here than pellet but I want to primarily use pellett it to keep a constant warm heat on evenings and weekends instead of the on off cool down and then hot the Nat gas gives. No kids at home and usually in the weekdays 8-5 we are not at home .
My wife does not want this on the main floor ( I do) but will start with it in the basement.
My home is 1500 ft main Rambler and well well insulated. Basement is 1200 with about 700 finished where the stove will go , I have a straight shot up the stairway to the middle of the house for heat to travel.Now the kids are gone my wife and I like to sleep with the t stat around 58* ..

We have several pellet mfg nearby that use pine and fir ( I think) no hardwood pellets that I know of.

So I'm new to the forum and looking forward to tips and tricks, suggestions for a successful venture into the pellet world.

All opinions appreciated , hope I can return the favor.

Welcome to the forum berg.

If you give Eric at kinsmanstoves.com or the folks at woodheatstoves.com a chance they should be able to set you up with a low limit switch. If you can, I'd suggest that you get the ceramic version of the switch.

Heating a 2,000-2,500 sq ft area from the basement will be pretty hard. Even if the stove is in an insulated portion.

Even if your not looking to use it as a Primary Heat source. I would try and make it fit somewhere upstairs. IMO...

To use it on evenings, its gonna take so long to get it warmed up enough downstairs to make a difference. Also moving the air can be tricky. Some basement installs work. Most dont....

My 2 pennies

So I bought a Bosca Spirit 500 that needs a low limit switch. Previous owner lives in a heavily wooded
area and has gone to a wood furnace. ! year old Unit.

I did a search and got a few tips .. wondering if anyone would chime in and help a first time
pellet virgin on how to approach the use of this unit.
First off I need to purchase a low limit switch.. any vendors on here?

Hi there.
The problem with the Spirit's low limit switch was that the factory low limit switch was too high of a temperature. Of all the one I sold, we had to change to one near 125 deg instead of the 145 deg that came on them. The work great with the 125 deg. It has to be the ceramic king and has to be the same size. If you can't find one easily you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.