Bought my first house and now I'm a wood burner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I simply agree with the chimney sweep who deemed it safe.Fire it up.
But the liner is clearly cracked and very dirty. That means unsafe plain and simple.

You know, every profession has a wide range of experience and quality; that's why people often get a second opinion. I didn't care for the first chimney sweep I used, so I got a second guy the second time... and have been using him ever since. You've asked for peoples opinions here, and despite being told to not use the stove and chimney (and despite saying it's not your primary heat source), you justify using the chimney.

I'd suggest taking a deep breath, and putting off using it till you can get another sweep to look at it; or put a new liner in the flu, or whatever it takes to make it safe for you and your family. Sometimes we're hell bent on doing what we want, and not what we should do. Been there, done that on WAY to many occasions. I'm embarrassed to admit, my wife has reeled me in from cockamamie schemes too many times.

For the sake of your family, slow down and do it right. Curt