bought my pellet stove not even a week ago and have an issue already

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinestars96

Jan 23, 2012
Western New York
Pellet stove is in my sign, got it new from home depot. I vacuumed it every day, what happens is the stove just goes out. Even on settings 9 and 9 just will work then go out. I'm guessing on the biggest setting it shouldn't be doing this unless the temp us high enough to shut down. My house was 60 degrees and the auger quit feeding fuel apparently! First found iyt last night, had the hopper full, heat at 3 fan at 5 went to bed. Woke up to a 55 degree home and pellet stove that shut down with a semi full hopper. Ugggh, is it a setting somewhere on the last 3 factory buttons? This is too sooner for a pellet stove to act up. I will try cleaning ignited when the stove decides to shut down again. Please help

On 9-9 it can overheat, but shouldnt if its this new.

How many pellets were in the hopper? You say "Semi Full"? Were they sticking to the sides?

The PDVC has a small hopper. Although most dont have problems, when stoves are new, the hoppers may need some finesse. By either applying high temp tape over seams, or polishing and buffing the inside to make it smoother (Pledge furniture polish). By polishing it, you reduce the friction made and they slide down easier.

Just a thought??

sounds to me like your not feeding enough pellets to keep the fire going..

check your bottom 3 buttons...factory settings are 6-4-1 i beleive

alpinestars96 said:
Pellet stove is in my sign, got it new from home depot. I vacuumed it every day, what happens is the stove just goes out. Even on settings 9 and 9 just will work then go out. I'm guessing on the biggest setting it shouldn't be doing this unless the temp us high enough to shut down. My house was 60 degrees and the auger quit feeding fuel apparently! First found iyt last night, had the hopper full, heat at 3 fan at 5 went to bed. Woke up to a 55 degree home and pellet stove that shut down with a semi full hopper. Ugggh, is it a setting somewhere on the last 3 factory buttons? This is too sooner for a pellet stove to act up. I will try cleaning ignited when the stove decides to shut down again. Please help

go to the selling dealer and ask for help? Sounds like a hardware issue.......

It was on 9-9 for about 20 mins then shut off. The pellets were very even when I opened the hopper. I just can LT believe the stove shut down in the middle if the night on level 3-6! I don't have a furnace back up just a propane wall heater! I'm cleaning it as we speak! Any other thoughts, ideas? Thank you!

alpinestars96 said:
It was on 9-9 for about 20 mins then shut off. The pellets were very even when I opened the hopper. I just can LT believe the stove shut down in the middle if the night on level 3-6! I don't have a furnace back up just a propane wall heater! I'm cleaning it as we speak! Any other thoughts, ideas? Thank you!

When you first looked at the stove was there a code showing on the control panel?

Need more info....you didn't comment on the poster question about your lower 3 button settings....what are they?

Also, the ignitor has NO effect on the stove once it starts burning....that stove is a Hi-Lo burner, and doesn't shut off unless you push the "Off" button.

Even on setting of 9-9, stove shouldn't shut down due to over heating.....should take much longer than that, if ever.

Is the stove on a thermostat? What brand pellets are you burning? When the stove shut down, were there any unburned pellets in the burn pot?

It is hooked up to a thermostat but the thermostat is off right now and set on 50. The thermosttlat didn't work like it should that's why it is off. The settings are 6-4-3. There were unburned
pellets in the pot cause the ignitor didn't work at the time. What settings can I try for a hotter burn, more warmth? Thank you

First of all, the settings should be 4-6-1 on that stove. Second, if the thermostat is still connected, and it's set at 50, that's why the stove is shutting off.....the stat is saying it doesn't need any heat.

Disconnect the stat wires from the control board, and re-install the jumper wire that was in there (that you had to remove) when you hooked the stat up. That will put the stove into manual operation.

But, before you disconnect the stat, try setting the lower 3 buttons as I mentioned above, set the stat for 70, and then hit the on button....see what happens then. Your Air On Temp setting of 3 is totally wrong and may be the reason the stove doesn't start correctly.

The stove has been on though, it shut off over night but I will Definatley try what you suggested. Ill let everyone know the results after a little burning time. Thanks so much!

Should the heat setting be at 9-9 when the thermostat is on? Even when the thermostat was on 50 and off the stove still heated the house to 70. Is this normal?

x2 with what imacman said. If you have the Tstat set at 50 degrees, and your house is at 60 or so degrees, the tstat is not calling for heat. The stove will run in the lowest setting, and if there is not a flame or even hot enough "coals", the stove will with feed pellets but there is nothing there to keep the fire going so the stove will cool down and shut off. So raise the stat set temp up. Also I raise my LBA up a little so the "coals" stay a little hotter so the pellets will reignite. Or if I want my pellet stove to shut off durning the day, I lower the LBA and turn the stat down.
I have my bottom three right now set at 3-6-1 buring North American Pellets.

alpinestars96 said:
Should the heat setting be at 9-9 when the thermostat is on? Even when the thermostat was on 50 and off the stove still heated the house to 70. Is this normal?

I usually leave mine at 9-9.

What brand/type of tstat do you have? First thing you need to do is lower that 3 to 1.
I was having tstat problems earlier, but have figured it out.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87790/

The t-stat will go to the heat level you selected when calling for heat..

When the stat is satisfied it will "idle" down to level 1 until heat is needed again.

Does this stove do High/Low and On/Off on the stat? Or just High/Low? If so, will the unit run consistently on level 1? There have been a few PDVC and PDV owners that have troubles with level 1 feeding consistent enough to keep the fire going for extended periods.

The Pdvc is just high low.

alpinestars96 said:
Should the heat setting be at 9-9 when the thermostat is on?....
Yes....that is what Englander recommends for the settings while using a stat.....it's in your owners manual on P. 20

alpinestars96 said:
The thermostat is a Honeywell.

What model? What terminals in the stat are the wires connected to? They should be on W and Rh.

If the stat has a heat/cool selector, set it to "heat".

I had it installed by someone I'm not sure unfortunately. What happens if I adjust the thermostat to off and use the stove buttons to turn it down? I'm worried the thermostat isn't working properley. The first day I had it installed I had it at 60 before I went to bed and woke up with no pellets after I filled it up before going to bed. I have used the stove buttons after with it working OK after I turned the thermostat off.

If I were you for now, as long as you are positive that the tstat wires are in the stove correctly, undo the wires from the tstat and twist them together. This should make the stove work normally. Make sure the stove is working correctly and then we can tackle the tstat.

alpinestars96 said:
I had it installed by someone I'm not sure unfortunately.....

Can you snap a pic of it and post it here?

Is it a programmable digital stat, or a standard turn the dial/push the lever type?

Do you know how to remove the front cover?

Mine shut down also last night on setting 2-4 with the bottom 3 being on 1-6-1. I think I done did starved it last night. lol
I run on 1-6-1 all the time and get a good burn and pleanty of heat to heat my 1400sf house to 72 with ease on a 3-5 or 4-5 setting depending on outside temp,.

Lousyweather said:
alpinestars96 said:

go to the selling dealer and ask for help? Sounds like a hardware issue.......

so, dealer gets a Mulligan on this one?

With the AOT set to 3, the stove wasn't getting hot enough to recognize that it was lit. Basically, the stove was shutting down because it thought the fire didn't light (or had gone out).

Reset the AOT to 1 and it should be fine.

As far as the t-stat - it probably was working fine. But because of the design of the stove's control board, it can overshoot on warmer days. When the t-stat calls for heat, the stove burns at the heat range set on the stove (9 is recommended by the manufacturer). When the t-stat is satisfied, it turns the heat down to 1. There is no indication on the control board, and no change in blower speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.