'Bout to get reeeaaaaal cold, who's ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gfs,Chicago, via ryan maue
BerlaoyCUAA5VA_.png:large

NWS says -4 for us on Monday night, but GFS tells a different story. According to them, it could be the coldest night of the year for the entire midwest/eastern area.
What is the Euro model saying?

They can only predict the weather for a week in advance, at best, and even then, they're often not accurate on the last few days.
The forecast models are bouncing all over the place. The GFS model is showing double digits below zero for Feb 12thfor the the mid atlantic region, all the way back to Illinois and completely covering WVa and part of Va., I'll believe that when I see it. In the next few days the models will completely change again.
I don't think they have any more of a clue than we do. What they do have are some fancy animated graphics to impress us with.

I think we're all going to still get walloped with some snow, but I think most of the sub zero temps will become rarer, down this way anyway.

Anyone else hearing talk of a blizzard weekend after next?

Heard mention of a possible storm here in NE maybe next Tues/Wed, but even the weather guesser said it was too far out to tell. Fact is, it's the same every year, if the jet stream is way low we freeze and have nothing more than a few clippers to deal with. When it starts to come back up, we warm, but we're back into the storm path.
A few stations were pretty clear that we (here in the north east) are going to be returning to an "active weather pattern" for the next week or so.

There were also showing the mositure maps, guess the air is getting pretty saturated over the country and they think it's going to "let go" somewhere...

1621990_10151985679288406_108180713_n.jpg

;lol

I don't put much stock in it, I was just curious if others were hearing it also... Seems to have gone viral at this point.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
starting tomorrow we are into a warm trend of 30s/40s for a week or so. after that the 10 day is calling only for it to dip into the high 20s and some chance of snow. I think (knock on wood) we might be over the hump with the deep freeze.......

most models have a known bias to those that utilize them. most forecasters admit they use them ,but it is only one of many tools available to them. the long guys I read talk about overall continued cold against the mean winter temps. I like the idea that the mean temp at this time of year is on the rise.at the same time there remains significant cold against the means out there according to bastardi, maue and brett anderson at accu weather. hounds of winter are typically over feb., 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.