Boxelder stinks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2006
I mean that literally. It has a strong sharp odor! Anybody else experience this?

I got the wood last winter when we had an ice storm. The neighbors tree came down, we cut it up and he gave it to me. I can't complain much because it was my favorite price, but, next time I will say no thanks. I am only gonna burn this stuff at night when all the windows are closed. Is it just me and my sensitive nose?

I also noticed if the fire is really hot, then the smell is not as strong. Based on this experience with burning it, I will tell others to be aware of the smell as well. But if thats all that you have then go for it. Maybe I'm spoiled from all the oak, ash, and cherry that I normally burn. KD

try to get some cherry.. I have been splitting cherry this week, and it smells great!

Yep, thru some cherry in to help cover the smell. But, I have the boxelder, so might as well use it up. Gonna mix it with other types of wood to help cover the smell. KD

cherry is awesome- could you just mix in a little box-elder at a time so it doesn't stink so bad?- or maybe use it all as kindling- kindling until 2097

Boxelder has a smell. The Boxelder I have burned was hot but very hard to spilt. It had twisted, narled, spiral grain and would not split through just edge spilt. If it’s free I will still put up with its problems. It all burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.