Boy is this winter a real sleeper...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
Here it is- January in the northwoods of Wisconsin and it was 41 on Friday then it was 36 yesterday and 30 today. If it was a normal winter up here our highs might not even break zero in January. I have a fire in the morning- just a few logs. Then one in the afternoon and another before bed. I guess I’m saving wood but I kinda like it when it’s cold and I don’t have to light my fires, I just put another log on the fire and deal with the coals as needed. We haven’t had any snow storms up here either. It’s been a real sleeper, in fact I think I’ll take a nap!!

Last edited:
Well Mr. Sleepy Woody, come on up to the hills of Vermont this year where us even bigger fools live. Your 2 big lakes just so happen to expel moisture into the upper atmosphere that just so happens to create these white ice things and then for some reason deposit them into the "snow belt" of Vermont. Where I live. Thank you very much.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Well Mr. Sleepy Woody, come on up to the hills of Vermont this year where us even bigger fools live. Your 2 big lakes just so happen to expel moisture into the upper atmosphere that just so happens to create these white ice things and then for some reason deposit them into the "snow belt" of Vermont. Where I live. Thank you very much.
Yeah we don’t get any lake effect snow here, that’s about 90 miles northeast of us. Have fun with that! Lol

Last edited:
Nino winters are second half winters. They flip in the middle of January and goes for a few weeks, colds coming.

Reactions: WiscWoody and Z33
Looks like more of the same for the next few weeks.

I have a stack of locust/osage Ive been saving for the cold weather. We did have a few nights where I couldve burned it but the forecast was off by about 10 degrees. Looking into the 15 day forecast, theres no foreseeable cold weather where I want to burn the locust. The good news is that the Sequoia can provide 100% heat for this joint in this weather.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I agree its been a mild winter so far in wisconsin but for some reason i seem to be going thru more wood than usual. Im on my 3rd full cord already and still have 3 months to go. At this rate i'll top 6 cords for the year, usually its 5 cords a winter.

If the mild weather keeps up I’ll have lots of dry wood for next winter. I bought a truckload of oak for the future but it won’t be ready to burn until the winter of 20/21 if not 21/22 so I’ll have to figure out what to burn in the mean time. I cut up a few dead standing elms lately to see if that will fill in the voids.

Last edited:
Here in western NC we hit 71 degrees today! I've had to dig back into my pile of pine that I burn in shoulder season to take the morning chill off without cooking us out of the house! However, by midweek they are forecasting below average temperatures with highs in 40s and lows in 20s, so it will be back to winter soon enough.

I agree its been a mild winter so far in wisconsin but for some reason i seem to be going thru more wood than usual. Im on my 3rd full cord already and still have 3 months to go. At this rate i'll top 6 cords for the year, usually its 5 cords a winter.
Wow, full cords? I’ve burnt less than a full cord. I think maybe two face cords and a hundred gallons of LP. Propane is cheap here so I always use the furnace some without remorse. I paid $1.09/gallon for the LP I have in the tank now.

Shhhhh. Be very, very. Quiet;lol This to will likely pass. I am really enjoying this weather. Got In 3 sunny warm days of chasing trout out of the last 4! Not normal.

Reactions: Woody Stover

It got colder earlier. Most places had record low high/low temps on Thanksgiving.

I've started more fires already this year than I think I have the last two winters. Pretty much the norm this year. Start a fire in the evening load the stove full get it up to 85 or so let it go out repeat the next evening. I would love to see all the kindling I've used already this year in a pile:eek:

Im in central Wisconsin. Our gas bill always show the heating degree days and from Nov 17 to Decembrr 17 it was actually 40% colder than last year (it was something like 1400 heating degree days vs 1000 last year) but since then it sure has been pretty mild!

Nino winters are second half winters. They flip in the middle of January and goes for a few weeks, colds coming.
Party pooper! First the Bears lose and make an ass outta me, then a cold-weather forecast...I just can't win! <>
If the mild if the mild weather keeps up I’ll have lots of dry wood for next winter. I bought a truckload of oak for the future but it won’t be ready to burn until the winter of 20/21 if not 21/22 so I’ll have to figure out what to burn in the mean time. I cut up a few dead standing elms lately to see if that will fill in the voids.
Yeah, keep finding small (under 8") trees with all the bark fallen off..those will be ready to go by fall.
I been slacking on cutting wood for my in-laws the last couple years. With more mild weather, maybe I won't have to dig into my personal stash to keep their stoves burning. I could luck out...
off01_temp.gif

Reactions: WiscWoody
They are saying rain for tomorrow of all things weird and 38 but then turning colder for Wednesday with a high of 8 above, more like it for us on the 46th parallel here.

Still about 50 at 10 PM. Loaded the stove just now, 24 hrs. later, with a few splits soft Maple, not even a full load. Saving wood big-time.
If you squint hard, you can see the cat glowing. >>
P1030932.JPG

Looks like more of the same for the next few weeks.
Nope, get your wood ready to go, colds coming and is going to be here for awhile. Might be snowy too but not sure of your location to the coast.

Nope, get your wood ready to go, colds coming and is going to be here for awhile. Might be snowy too but not sure of your location to the coast.
Im good with this weather for now,my stove is inoperable waiting to be replaced by englander who is dragging their feet somewhat. one month and counting.

You're exactly correct. It's been a very strange winter. Much warmer than usual. I took my dog for a walk and run the the other day towards the back end of my property / farm. Just walking through my back field felt more like April than January. Mud season. The ground freezes then thaws. Freezes then thaws. Definitely a strange winter.

Wow, full cords? I’ve burnt less than a full cord. I think maybe two face cords and a hundred gallons of LP. Propane is cheap here so I always use the furnace some without remorse. I paid $1.09/gallon for the LP I have in the tank now.

Yeah, full cords. I dont use any gas to heat tho, my furnace isnt even turned on so a fire has been going pretty much 24/7 since the beginning of Nov.
I load the stove once before bed and once before work during the week. The weekends i use more wood cause i usually leave the air wide open and toss a log or two on throughout the day just to keep the fire going which seems to use more wood. I'll probably end up burning til april.

Mild winter here in mid-Maine as well . . . some snow coming tomorrow . . . but unless something changes very soon I will have to trailer north to go sledding this year.