brakes on a <3000# utility trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
I've decided to treat myself by getting a 5x8 single axle utility trailer to make up for no longer having a pick-up. Mostly for yard work, which will be fairly light loads, but I'd like to keep the option open for some wood collecting in our local mountains. (Of course, keeping the weight limit in mind.) The roads can be steep around here and the local passes can have dips of a few thousand feet. For now, until I eventually get a 1/2 ton truck, I'm towing with an older 3rd generation 4Runner which is getting a brake controller installed this week for my wife's new tiny travel trailer.

Question: For not very much money, I can order brakes with the utility trailer. I'd like the peace of mind of having brakes "just in case" and to save my vehicle's brakes, but are they a hassle and regular expense to maintain? Opinions?

Get the brakes for that terrain! They are not a hassle to maintain ...I would not want a load of wood pushing me in that terrain in wintry conditions..

Get the brakes for any terrain. People don't know, care that you're tugging a trailer and will pull out in front of you/cut you off. I'd recommend getting a double axle too. You're buying it for wood. You're going to hate your purchase for the life of the trailer once you realize the trailer itself weighs about 1K lbs and you can only tow a half cord of wood with the single axle.

Only maint I have had is sealing up wiring connections. Not done right the first time, they corrode and brakes wont work. Make sure all connections are sealed.

Get the trailer brakes. According to this it is required in California by law. We have a similar law, we must run trailer brakes if the trailer exceeds 2000lbs or 50% of the tow vehicle weight.

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more.

Get the trailer brakes. According to this it is required in California by law. We have a similar law, we must run trailer brakes if the trailer exceeds 2000lbs or 50% of the tow vehicle weight.

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more.

I was wondering why lighter camper trailers have brakes in California, and what you stated is why. Thanks for the education. Utility trailers, however, have a 3,000# limit before needing brakes in California. I suspect that's why most the single axle utility trailers are posted with a 2,990# limit even though the axle is limited to 3,500#. A few states, like your province, have the "or percent of vehicle" limit which makes sense to me and is another reason why I'm leaning towards brakes.

Get the brakes for any terrain. People don't know, care that you're tugging a trailer and will pull out in front of you/cut you off. I'd recommend getting a double axle too. You're buying it for wood. You're going to hate your purchase for the life of the trailer once you realize the trailer itself weighs about 1K lbs and you can only tow a half cord of wood with the single axle.

I hear that a lot about the double axle and your reply plants an expensive temptation in my mind. Around here, double axles are king among construction (gravel, etc) and pot growers (soil), so good resell. A typical scene in our hills is a "grow dozer" (what we call a 1-ton diesel around here) pulling a load of soil into the back country. 95% of my use will be for yard debris, so light loads. For me, going into the mountains for wood, would be like deer hunting or fishing -as much for the fun of it as for the practical aspect. When shopping, I tried lifting the tongue of empty trailers and figured the empty 5x8 single I could readily move but going bigger was physically tough for me. My driveway situation at my property is a bit awkward too, and I read that tandems aren't as maneuverable.

I was wondering why lighter camper trailers have brakes in California, and what you stated is why. Thanks for the education. Utility trailers, however, have a 3,000# limit before needing brakes in California. I suspect that's why most the single axle utility trailers are posted with a 2,990# limit even though the axle is limited to 3,500#. A few states, like your province, have the "or percent of vehicle" limit which makes sense to me and is another reason why I'm leaning towards brakes.

Honestly I'd just get the trailer brakes. I'd be more comfortable towing a 3000lb trailer behind my one ton knowing it had trailer brakes, IMO towing that same weight behind an SUV necessitates it.

Reactions: mar13
I did some more shopping and it was proposed to me that with brakes I could also upgrade the axle to 5,000# at not much additional weight. That should leave the option open for a cord of wood, if needed. True, a double axle would be better in that case, but then the price and weight really begin to shoot up.

Reactions: thunderhead
I don't think I ever have seen a 5k axle on a single axle trailer. I may be imagining it, but I think i read somewhere about being limited to 3k lbs with a single axle. Maybe I'm wrong, don't hold me to it! Lol.

Trailer sizing is tough because they just beg to be abused.

Have you looked into renting them from Uhaul when you need one? If its not often, rent it, beat it, sweep it out and return it. A 6x12 double axle was $40 aa couple years ago.

I did some more shopping and it was proposed to me that with brakes I could also upgrade the axle to 5,000# at not much additional weight. That should leave the option open for a cord of wood, if needed. True, a double axle would be better in that case, but then the price and weight really begin to shoot up.
I think you are on the right track with the axle upgrade considering your tow vehicle..

I don't think I ever have seen a 5k axle on a single axle trailer. I may be imagining it, but I think i read somewhere about being limited to 3k lbs with a single axle. Maybe I'm wrong, don't hold me to it! Lol.

Trailer sizing is tough because they just beg to be abused.

Have you looked into renting them from Uhaul when you need one? If its not often, rent it, beat it, sweep it out and return it. A 6x12 double axle was $40 aa couple years ago.
Two different Oregon companies, Fabform and Iron Eagle, allow you to upgrade their single axle to 5200 axles with brakes. Such trailers, I suppose, are rare birds.

I did rent a U-haul a few weeks ago for a few days. A good price: $16/day and if insured an extra $8/day. Economically, that makes sense, though it was a heavy trailer for its size (built for abuse?) and that clock ticking made me rush. Buying a trailer for myself is a bit of a luxury and treat, I admit. On the other hand, trailers do resell well and U-haul costs are only going up.

When you rent a Uhaul trailers you find out how heavy and well built they are. I've gotten away with a 4x8 inside 1200 LBS rated trailler. mostly light hauling and small wood loads. No brakes but mostlly flat roads.

Have anyone seen that extendable / swivel hitch? Fix for that trailer you can't move.

Get electric brakes. You won't regret it.

I'm not sure of other areas, but here in CT I pay about $9 / year for a camp trailer tag and personal property tax of about the same, so 20 bucks / yr and I can use it whenever I need, don't have to be rushed to return it, don't have to mess around with time consuming rental agreements, don't have to take it for emissions checks, etc.

Many young bucks who have decently capable small SUV's or trucks often want to go buy bigger than they really need vehicles. I always remind them that a trailer is CHEAP to own and register, easy to take care of and is fully covered by the vehicle insurance it's hooked up to (if your insurance company is worth a crap). No-brainer in my eyes.

I spent many a year towing a 2200 lb 8.5 x 10 "clamshell" sled trailer around with an S-10, S-10 ZR2 and an S-10 Blazer ZR2. Upgrading to a 7 x 16 enclosed that pushed 3 K loaded was a big change. Pulling an 18' boat and trailer that weighed close to 3 K a few miles around town was do-able, but also a bit scary.

Pulling that bigger sled trailer or boat with an '06 Duramax now. Don't even know the're back there. I also have a 7 x 16 flatbed with dual 7 K axels, electric brakes on both. It weighs 2550 empty and can gross 14 K. Having 8 brakes on 8 tires can bring it to a stop pretty darn quick when necessary.

Reactions: kevin j and Ashful
I put brakes on my 3000# 5x8 because at the time I was towing it with a mid size station wagon. I went all out and got a used electro hydraulic actuator and built my own assemblies. But it could be done with electric just as well. This was 20 years ago and I’m still on the original parts. One plus is if you blow a line on your tow rig, you can stop it all with just the trailer brakes. As opposed to having no hope of stopping with all that weight behind you. Has happened a couple times over all these years. You can also use the brakes to stabilize the trailer if it starts to sway, which has happened if the load shifts or wasn’t loaded well.

Reactions: kevin j
My driveway situation at my property is a bit awkward too, and I read that tandems aren't as maneuverable.
They’re every bit as maneuverable, but the tires on the axle with less weight (usually front on a properly set up rig, which sees equal distribution when loaded) will drag across the lawn or gravel, and tear things up a bit more.
I don't think I ever have seen a 5k axle on a single axle trailer.
I used to rent one pretty regularly, from a local rental company. 5k single axle with surge breaks and pintel hitch. Can’t remember the size, I was only using it for hauling heavy cast iron woodworking machines, which had small footprints but sometimes weighed several thousands of pounds.

I don’t miss driving anything with surge breaks. No fun backing those up a hill with a load!

They’re every bit as maneuverable, but the tires on the axle with less weight (usually front on a properly set up rig, which sees equal distribution when loaded) will drag across the lawn or gravel, and tear things up a bit more.

I used to rent one pretty regularly, from a local rental company. 5k single axle with surge breaks and pintel hitch. Can’t remember the size, I was only using it for hauling heavy cast iron woodworking machines, which had small footprints but sometimes weighed several thousands of pounds.

I don’t miss driving anything with surge breaks. No fun backing those up a hill with a load!
I pull a boat a couple times a year (not mine) with surge breaks on the trailer. There’s a lockout pin that’ll allow you to lock the piston back so the brakes don’t fire when backing up. I don’t think it’s a unique tool, if I remember right it appeared on the trailer when a marina needed to do some work on it off season. Kind of a finders/keepers moment for him.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yeah, here’s something similar for $5.

FD5F2979-66D9-4953-AC52-E40BD8056750.png

I ended up getting a 5*10 with 5200# single axle, with brakes ( not surge) .

Once I get a bigger tow vehicle, I may be wishing for a double axle ( I know most of you are tandem fans), but now the trailer meets my tow vehicle's max limit ( which I won't test) and I can walk it (not with super ease) into position for hitching or storage.

A plus with the single axle is lower maintenance cost, especially when it comes time to replace tires. Trailer tires usually deteriorate before the tread wears out, so it’s usually a time thing rather than mileage.

I pull a boat a couple times a year (not mine) with surge breaks on the trailer. There’s a lockout pin that’ll allow you to lock the piston back so the brakes don’t fire when backing up. I don’t think it’s a unique tool, if I remember right it appeared on the trailer when a marina needed to do some work on it off season. Kind of a finders/keepers moment for him.
I remember renting one trailer (U-Haul, I think) that had a lock-out on the surge brakes. But the 5000 lb. single I used to rent from a local company had none. I had one frustrating event trying to back it up over a threshold into my driveway, when I lived on a busy 2-lane highway, which pretty much sold me on never renting one again.

I ended up getting a 5*10 with 5200# single axle, with brakes ( not surge) .

Once I get a bigger tow vehicle, I may be wishing for a double axle ( I know most of you are tandem fans), but now the trailer meets my tow vehicle's max limit ( which I won't test) and I can walk it (not with super ease) into position for hitching or storage.
Nice! You got what works for you, now.

And you're not marrying it. You can always trade it for a tandem later, if you find that works better for you, on the next vehicle.

I ended up getting it direct from the manufacturer near Portland, Oregon, ~400 miles away, but I combined the trip with a long camping vacation, including seeing family near the manufacturer. Here it is shortly after pick-up. The aluminum ribs are for a cover that I got which is made from boat canopy material (made by a company which makes covers for boats). I also had the manufacturer add 7 d-rings welded around floor edge, fender steps, stake pockets, rear stabilizers. (It was a lot easier and cheaper to have options done by the manufacturer, rather than do them myself later.) Instead of steel siding, I opted for MDO siding, which supposedly is very durable, but only time will tell. 10 feet looks a lot longer than 8ft (well that is 25% more), but more space for kayaks, wood, debris, etc.

I drove north to get the trailer with 4 bikes on a hitch bike-rack, but I had created a bike rack using super-strut and fork mounts to get them back home since the vehicle's hitch was needed by the trailer. The d-rings were helpful there.

20210619_123108.jpg

They sure are purdy... before you muck 'em up with weather and hauling logs. :)

Reactions: kevin j