Brand new XX##$@!!$!! Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Why does it always have to happen to a brand new chain...hit an embedded nail. Damaged a few teeth but broke one right off. After a careful inspection of the other teeth should this chain be ok to use? Yes I am a cheap sob.

Don't feel bad I did the same thing , I hit a rock in a shrub didn't break a tooth but boogered a couple teeth.

A missing cutter won't hurt a thing as long as it broke off cleanly. Sharpen it up and keep cutting.

I've got a chain missing several teeth. Can't tell it at all. Cut on!

you're ok. sharpener her up and keep cutting. consider that a partial or semi-skip chain :)

KodiakII said:
I'll just call it my redneck semi skip chain!

+1
Sharpen & cut away :)

KodiakII said:
Why does it always have to happen to a brand new chain...hit an embedded nail. Damaged a few teeth but broke one right off. After a careful inspection of the other teeth should this chain be ok to use? Yes I am a cheap sob.

I've hit many nails with many chains and filed them all back to life.

Sharpen her up and put her back to work. Redneck semi-skip, I like that.

KodiakII said:
Why does it always have to happen to a brand new chain...hit an embedded nail..
It's never happened to me so "always" is not for everyone. Mind you, I don't cut scrounge wood or from old fence lines. Consider it the cost of getting free wood. I pay for my wood but it comes from the forest, not someone's tree house.

I have a couple chains with the top of the cutter gone. I still can sharpen it but those chains are at the very back of my line up now.

LLigetfa said:
KodiakII said:
It's never happened to me so "always" is not for everyone. Mind you, I don't cut scrounge wood or from old fence lines. Consider it the cost of getting free wood. I pay for my wood but it comes from the forest, not someone's tree house.

A buddy of mine hit what they figure was an embedded bullet in a log at his sawmill...thankfully it went straight up through the tin roof. Never say never.

KodiakII said:
Never say never.
Touché!

That's the problem with superlatives although I did pre-empt mine with the contraction "it's" as in "it has never happened to me". This concludes our English grammer lesson.

Not many steel musket balls or full metal jacket bullets in these parts. Mostly lead and soft point copper clad bullets.

I have had rock dust freeze on the top side of a leaner and dull my chain. I learned to plunge cut those. I have also run into stuff in a hollow probably put there by birds or squirrels.

The chain is ruined and dangerous. PM me for my address and send the chain to me for proper and safe disposal.

BrotherBart said:
The chain is ruined and dangerous. PM me for my address and send the chain to me for proper and safe disposal.

I'd have to take it into work and magnafluxed or dye tested , so don't call me I'll call you when it's ready. ;-)

lukem said:
A missing cutter won't hurt a thing as long as it broke off cleanly. Sharpen it up and keep cutting.

+1. Keep it around for cutting old stuff and/or working around fences & salvaging yardbirds.

KodiakII said:
LLigetfa said:
KodiakII said:

A buddy of mine hit what they figure was an embedded bullet in a log at his sawmill...thankfully it went straight up through the tin roof. Never say never.

That's one way to secure your wood!

Dont feel bad about a nail here and there, its when you destroy three 28" RSC chisel chains on one huge ash tree because someone put railroad spikes in it for steps 75 years ago, that's when it sucks. Homeowner reimbursed me for my chains (I was ready to throw on the towel on that tree, but kept going at their request). I have since invested in a good metal detector, and it has paid for itself several times already......

Status
Not open for further replies.