Break in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I just purchased the regency 2450 and it will be installed in about a month. I know about doing break-in fires and I was checking out the online manual. It looks like they recommend doing 5 to 6 of these fires. They recommend Keeping fire at moderate level for these first several fires before opening It up for more normal heating. I noticed that they didn’t give any guidance on how open or closed the air control should be. If you guys were trying to follow these directions and had to take your best guess on what is best for these break- in fires, what would you do?

Just burn less wood. Start with 5-6 small 2" thick sticks. Next fire go up to 3-4, 3" sticks, next fire 4-5, 4" sticks, then have at it.

I never noticed any smells or anything during my break in fires on my regency.

The PE stank to high heaven (glad it was installed the beginning of Sept !!). The 13 started cruising :mad:

Slowly build up the temps each fire. Shouldn't take more than 4 or 5.

My daughter is in Burlington, having an I2400 installed end of October. Gave her the same advice ;)

My daughter is in Burlington, having an I2400 installed end of October. Gave her the same advice ;)
Not that she'll listen. ;lol

• Haha
Reactions: Dix
My insert smoked like a chimney ;). Get ready to open some windows just in case.

Reactions: andym