Breakthrough in Solar Cells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news, the only issue is it really isnt for everyone.
Solar is still a very expensive proposition in initial costs that some just cannot swing especially new homeowners.

Damn and all this happened with a Republican congress AND President

:ducking and running for cover:

I hear CalTech or some other research university is looking into using standard plastics as solar cells. One of the big costs of converting sunlight to volts is the use of the high grade silicone used in solar arrays. It has to be pretty pure to be close to being efficient and the use of silicone is highly competitive with the microprocessor and computer chip folks (Intel, AMD, etc) which obviously command a bigger share of the silicone market.

But if we can start converting sun to volts using cheaper plastics, each solar panel will be a lot less than the $125+ they are now and perhaps we can start putting solar arrays on everything from backpacks to houses to cars?

Jay

Jay H said:
I hear CalTech or some other research university is looking into using standard plastics as solar cells. One of the big costs of converting sunlight to volts is the use of the high grade silicone used in solar arrays. It has to be pretty pure to be close to being efficient and the use of silicone is highly competitive with the microprocessor and computer chip folks (Intel, AMD, etc) which obviously command a bigger share of the silicone market.

But if we can start converting sun to volts using cheaper plastics, each solar panel will be a lot less than the $125+ they are now and perhaps we can start putting solar arrays on everything from backpacks to houses to cars?

Jay

There is a technology that has developed whereby solar "cells" can literally be printed onto a flexible substrate, in the same manner as a laser printer prints on paper. With development, you can create single cell sheets on the cheap, and lower your total cost per watt.

-- Mike

Mike Wilson said:
Jay H said:

Jay

There is a technology that has developed whereby solar "cells" can literally be printed onto a flexible substrate, in the same manner as a laser printer prints on paper. With development, you can create single cell sheets on the cheap, and lower your total cost per watt.

-- Mike

Now that's what I need out here in the desert.

Wow. So they stuck a magnifying glass to concentrate the suns rays onto a solar cell, and it created more energy, and it's being touted as a ground breaker. Is that it? I don't get where's the new efficiency technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.