Breckwell Big E experiment.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I decided to see how hot , and how much fuel I would use if I set my stove on # 3 manual and let her rip.

Outside temps were a high of 30 F to a low of 10 F.

I used 3 thermostats to record the temps , two in the same room as the stove , and one in a adjoining room.

In twenty four hours I got the stats in the stove room up to 95 F and 92 F , and the one in the adjoining room up to 83F .

I had intended to let the stove remain on # 3 until it ran out of fuel but the heat was making me real sick and I had a terrible head ache . So after 24 hours I kicked it back down to # 2 .

I checked the air temps coming out of the stove , and on #3 the temps were over 150 F , and on #2 they are about 120 F .

I used 120 LBS of pellets in 36 hours while the stove was on # 3 .

I had intended to let the stove remain on # 3 until it ran out of fuel but the heat was making me real sick and I had a terrible head ache .
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak!

Sorry , not trying to raise an alarm , did not get headache from carbon monoxide . Got headache from it being so so hot. I think it dehydrated me a little.I drank about a gallon of water after I kicked her down and I felt fine. Once you get the Big E rolling , it really throws the heat.

I have mine on the #4 setting 24 hours a day. I would kill for temps like that. The room my stove is in is in the 80's, but the farthest room is at best (on a warm 30 degree day) 69 degrees. Temps here have been very cold and my house layout is not wide open. I am happy with the heat but it eats alot of pellets on #4. 2 tons since the beginning of January.

Status
Not open for further replies.