My big E can not achive 60F after 10 hour at level 4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nduy

Dec 9, 2023
Marryland
Hi ,
I just bought a used Big E for my small house (1200 squart feet) I tried to reach 65-70 F inside but after 10 hours at lv4 it’s still cold inside. The air at outlet just a bit warm. The oitside temp is 45-47F. I’m so dissapointed at it. This is my first ever pellet stove and have no exp about this. Please teach me is it normal or I did something wrong or the stove was bad and need to be fixed something. I appreciate

Attachments

• 72381994596__6C72CF87-79DD-41C3-A6BA-17608552BDB9.MOV
    3 MB
for some reason the vid is blank when i look, looking at the pic that is showing up for the vid it looks like your flame is low it looks like the flame mine is at when its at 1-2... My big e never goes past 3 and will cook you out of the house, level 4-5 is only supposed to be used for 20 min or so according to the manual. (when your stove is working correctly). Do you have the draft set up so its burning properly? Also is the stove good and clean, burn pot, and both your blowers? Running good pellets not the cheap crap walmart sells. Why did the previous owner sell and did you do a test before purchasing?

After hitting the vid several times i got it to work but only works on the last 10 seconds, looks like its not comming out of startup mode does the on off light ever stop flashing? what do you have going on with that flex pipe going up the back and what im hoping is some random vent pipe laying around from install?

Hi ,
I just bought a used Big E for my small house (1200 squart feet) I tried to reach 65-70 F inside but after 10 hours at lv4 it’s still cold inside. The air at outlet just a bit warm. The oitside temp is 45-47F. I’m so dissapointed at it. This is my first ever pellet stove and have no exp about this. Please teach me is it normal or I did something wrong or the stove was bad and need to be fixed something. I appreciate
What brand of pellets are you burning?

I was going to ask the same question. We've used lignetics for years at my parents house and been really happy with the heat and burn. I got my own stove finally after moving out and getting married and I ran a couple bags off of his stash, really happy with them in my stove too. I didn't get my stove installed or supplies bought for this winter soon enough so I'm kind of in the "buy a couple bags at a time" mode. Got a bag of eco-fuel and wow what a difference. Not a good one either. House was noticeably cooler. several degrees difference on low.

This is also something you might want to look into though is on dad's stove, we had to replace the auger motor this year and it got a lot hotter in the house with the new one. He has an austraflamm integra.

So in summary, you could have a defective motor which is still working, but not putting the fuel in that it should. OR, your auger feed rate needs to be adjusted. OR, you need different pellets.

The fire in your video looks ok, other than the amount of fly ash, which leads me to believe the pellets are the MOST likely cause of your heat problem. if you go find some hot BTU pellets and still have an issue, id look into the auger maybe.

I don't know about the function of that stove though... as zrock said, if there is a function problem with the board or a bad sensor, that could be preventing you from ever achieving more than a start up heat. If that's the case, it's probably limiting the speed of the auger, and the combustion fan speed no matter which level you have set.

for some reason the vid is blank when i look, looking at the pic that is showing up for the vid it looks like your flame is low it looks like the flame mine is at when its at 1-2... My big e never goes past 3 and will cook you out of the house, level 4-5 is only supposed to be used for 20 min or so according to the manual. (when your stove is working correctly). Do you have the draft set up so its burning properly? Also is the stove good and clean, burn pot, and both your blowers? Running good pellets not the cheap crap walmart sells. Why did the previous owner sell and did you do a test before purchasing?

After hitting the vid several times i got it to work but only works on the last 10 seconds, looks like its not comming out of startup mode does the on off light ever stop flashing? what do you have going on with that flex pipe going up the back and what im hoping is some random vent pipe laying around from install?
Hi, thank you so much for your response. I tried cleaning it up throughout but still, it doesn't help. I use pellets from Home Depot. The flex pipe is used as an exhaust pipe for the old chimney. I'm not sure if the blower was installed correctly. when I opened the case, it was like this. please teach me if I need to do something else. I appreaciate

IMG_9523.jpeg IMG_9524.jpeg

What brand of pellets are you burning?
Hi, I currently use pellets from Home Depot
I was going to ask the same question. We've used lignetics for years at my parents house and been really happy with the heat and burn. I got my own stove finally after moving out and getting married and I ran a couple bags off of his stash, really happy with them in my stove too. I didn't get my stove installed or supplies bought for this winter soon enough so I'm kind of in the "buy a couple bags at a time" mode. Got a bag of eco-fuel and wow what a difference. Not a good one either. House was noticeably cooler. several degrees difference on low.

This is also something you might want to look into though is on dad's stove, we had to replace the auger motor this year and it got a lot hotter in the house with the new one. He has an austraflamm integra.

So in summary, you could have a defective motor which is still working, but not putting the fuel in that it should. OR, your auger feed rate needs to be adjusted. OR, you need different pellets.

The fire in your video looks ok, other than the amount of fly ash, which leads me to believe the pellets are the MOST likely cause of your heat problem. if you go find some hot BTU pellets and still have an issue, id look into the auger maybe.

I don't know about the function of that stove though... as zrock said, if there is a function problem with the board or a bad sensor, that could be preventing you from ever achieving more than a start up heat. If that's the case, it's probably limiting the speed of the auger, and the combustion fan speed no matter which level you have set.
Hi, I check the auger feed rate and it is still correct. I wonder if the blower was installed correctly. please take a look at the following pictures, and the "fresh air" was not taken from the small pipe(2'') , it is sucked directly at the blower. please teach me if I need to do something else. Can you suggest a brand of pellet?

IMG_9714.jpeg

pretty sure that flex pipe is not rated for stove applications. I think i see your issue now that i can see the vid better. On your control panel you have a switch on the top that gives you control options for a thermostats it should be on manual. It looks like its set on high/low and it should be set on manual if you have no external thermostats installed.