Breckwell p2000 auger issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dt92

Jan 17, 2019
New Mexico
Was out of town and wife had stove going and it overflowed the burn pot so she cleaned it. Next day she goes to start it and it wouldn't feed any pellets. I get home, I take it out of the insert, clean out the hopper, clean the auger to the best of my ability, turn it on, it spins, turn it off, put it back in the insert, go to turn it on, it spins once and then doesn't spin again. I assume the auger motor went bad so I bought another and just replaced it, tested it, it spun several times before I put it back in the insert. Then I turn it on after it's back in and it spins once and not again. Should the auger spin freely with my fingers with the motor off? Should I see if there's still a jam? I can get the auger to spin with vise grips, but not easy enough for just my fingers.

If the hopper is empty and cleaned out you shold be able to turn the auger shaft by hand easily. If the motor is on it you won’t be able to and shouldn’t try to turn it, it could damage the reduction gears in the gearbox. With the motor off and hopper empty and auger shaft is hard to turn use a small mirror and look up the pellet drop tube and see if there is any obstruction. I dont remeber if there is a bushing at the top of the auger but there is one at the bottom that could be worn or bound up.

So I had the motor off, had it spinning freely, but every now and then it would feel like it caught something. The auger moves up and down and when it isn't centered, it's tough to spin by hand. Is this a sign of bad bushings? Thanks for the reply.

Kinda sounds that way. The shaft should be loose but not able to move side to side much.

It isn't side to side, just up and down. The stove came with the house, and I haven't done much reading on it until now, and most people seem to hate it. Is it pretty much trash and should I put something else in? Or does it depend on the year?

Just looked at the parts for yours and it looks like its the same internals as my big e... My stove has been rock solid with age coves some repairs and over the past few years i have replaced auger bushings and motor, and exhaust blower, and a few snap disks as i found the previous owner ordered and put the wrong one in.

Any idea on how to get the auger off? There aren't any screws on the auger cover in the hopper like in models I've seen. I've removed two screws from the biscuit bushing on the bottom, but it doesn't move still. Could it just be stuck on from the silicone?

Last edited: