Breckwell P23 Control Board Troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MeJay Mike

Dec 31, 2016
Tijeras, NM
Hi all. I’m trying to determine if my control board is the cause for an over temp on the internal cutoff of my convection motor. When I measure the voltage (very confident but still safe when measured) going to the motor on various settings (1-5) I get the following:
Settings/Voltage
1 / 99
2 / 110
3 / 118
4 / 120
5 / 120

It seems odd and in my head the 4 and 5 should not be equal. Anyone ever measured? Anyone willing to on there’s? I could have sworn setting 1 should be more like 86 VAC.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I have a big e and my fan runs the same speed on 4 and 5 so im thinking those settings are right.. On mine settings 4 and 5 are to be used for a limited time. My stove usually runs on 2 or 3 and then down to 1 when the room gets up to temp

Ther is no schematic that has been released from the board mfg. many have traced the circuits on their own but the programing on prom does most of the work. Optoisolaters and triacs take the prom instructions and set speeds trough the optoisolaters and trigger the triacs accordingly. My 2 boards are very much like what you have come up with +\- 2-3v.

Internal cut-out can be caused by many things, age bearings, windings, lubrication, fan/squirrel cage dirty(more load on motor).

Last edited:
The local store thinks hot air is leaking from the fire into the rear portion of the stove (insert not free standing). Seems odd, but cracks could happen I guess. I would just think it would get very dirty back there if this was the case and it’s not.