Breckwell P4000 fuse keeps blowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs_moran

Dec 20, 2011
Central MA
I gave my stove it's weekly cleaning last night. When I turned it back on the 5A 125V fuse blew on the control panel. I replaced it and that blew within seconds, tried again without luck. The combustion blower and auger both turned on as they always had. I figured that perhaps something was jamming the auger so I took the whole thing apart today. I tested the auger motor with a hot wire and it turns fine. I cleaned out the auger flight, which was very clean, very low fines. I checked all the wires for breaks and connections to the components. I put everything back together and it blew again. I don't know much about using a multimeter to test so I am kind of lost. I can't find anything like the service manuals for Breckwell that would tell me what voltages or amps to be looking for (found plenty of others). I've tried the other things on their troubleshooting guide. Obviously something is drawing too much current. Any ideas?

Is this an auto-start? I'd bet you pinched a wire somewhere, probably going to the ignitor. If you can, use your meter to measure the leads of the ignitor to ground (stove unplugged!).

Thanks, I can do that, but I don't know what I am looking for... Resistance? Continuity? Should I check all the wires that way?

Thanks, I can do that, but I don't know what I am looking for... Resistance? Continuity? Should I check all the wires that way?
Just unplug one lead going to the ignitor and see if the stove will start w/o blowing the fuse. Other check of ignitor is to check resistance....the ignitor should read somewhere around 45-48 ohms

If either ignitor lead reads near zero Ω to ground, the wiring or the ignitor is shorted to ground. imacman's method is simpler, but I would disconnect both leads in case the one you didn't disconnect was the shorted one.
You can check all the motor wiring to ground, look for low resistance, same as for the ignitor.

Sure does sound like a short. Already mentioned but worth repeating, UNPLUG THE STOVE before doing anything. If you do have a short to frame ground, loose wire or whatever you could get a not so pleasant surprise or worse. Not trying to scare ya just be safe!

Wouldn't a short kill the fuse instantaneously? When I turn the stove on the convection blower starts, the auger runs and then the stove stops. I wish there was a sequence timing chart for these stoves...

And just so I understand all of this, power is being sent to each component individually and when it goes to start the ignitor, some wire is touching the frame at some point or the ignitor is bad? Sorry if I sound clueless.

Wouldn't a short kill the fuse instantaneously? When I turn the stove on the convection blower starts, the auger runs and then the stove stops. I wish there was a sequence timing chart for these stoves...

And just so I understand all of this, power is being sent to each component individually and when it goes to start the ignitor, some wire is touching the frame at some point or the ignitor is bad? Sorry if I sound clueless.
That is correct. Sounds like you are grounding somewhere. If the blower and auger run and then it blowes then it sounds like the ignitor. Use the resistance setting and see if any lead is giving minimal resistance. That will be your culprit.

Ground issue or bad igniter.

Eric

I just wanted to add - don't hesitate to ask questions if you don't understand something. That is how you learn.
There is a lot of knowledgable experienced folk here willing to help you out.

Reactions: Thaddius Wenderoth
Continuity throughout the wires and ignitor. Resistance on the ignitor was only 10 ohms. I think I'll just replace the ignitor...

This leads me to my next question, can I run the stove without the ignitor? I imagine so. The only problem is what do I do with the loose wires? Tape 'em up?

Status
Not open for further replies.