Bring installation back to code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kansan

Oct 21, 2023
Southwest Missouri
I bought a1950s house with an Englander 18-MH as the primary heat source. I went to clean the chimney the and noticed that the liner seemed to lose so I started pulling and found a 2' section rusted away. I started poking at the installation more and found a 6" clerance on the stove pipe and 9" to ceiling which I believe would be correct for double wall, but it is single. Or is there something I am missing? The setup isn't great for sweeping the chimney, but I don't see an easy way to improve that without tearing into the original fireplace chimney. I grew up with an EPA wood stove so I am not a total novice, but I was too young when we installed to remember it in detail.

20231016_190656.jpg 20231022_130043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This setup looks like someone used regular black stove pipe (or galvanized duct) in the chimney. That's pretty scary, but a good illustration about why this is illegal. The liner needs to be removed and replaced with a stainless steel liner.

I don't mean to be alarming, but it is possible that nothing was done correctly in this installation. Given the issues, the wall thimble may also be improper and dangerous. It needs substantial clearances from any combustible. If the clearance requirement wasn't honored, the wood surrounding it may have started charring over time.

Once fixed with a proper liner and safe thimble, then double-wall stove pipe should be used to connect the stove.

The "thimble" is a length of ordinary stove pipe that was cemented into the masonary chimney that was then covered with drywall. The pipe was sitting by a 90 elbow and then up the chimney. Seems like it would be hard to connected the liner or navigate a sweep through it, but maybe that is why it wasn't connected when I found it.the

20231016_190359.jpg

My guess is that the thimble clearances are wrong too. If so, there's really not a lot right about this installation.

The "thimble" is a length of ordinary stove pipe that was cemented into the masonary chimney that was then covered with drywall. The pipe was sitting by a 90 elbow and then up the chimney. Seems like it would be hard to connected the liner or navigate a sweep through it, but maybe that is why it wasn't connected when I found it.the

View attachment 317174
Yeah that all needs to be redone new liner wall thimble etc