Broke the damn latch on my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its this at Hechlers
Cool..mines fine but the cam shows wear.
Next season I'll be on my 4th season already so I'll will switch out the door gasket just to be sure.

You could always replace the nut with a thinner nut to get your door a tad tighter if your gasket looks ok.

Mine is on the princess
Someone esle said that also on a Princess ..waiting to hear on the full size..you would think it would be.

Is your door gasket glued in..mine is not.

Partly yes, but several areas the glue has let go. Top still holding well & the hinge side.
When I pulled on the bottom it came out & I could see dried white glue spots on the metal.
Every time I fluff it (the gasket), the door latch has more friction & fells like it is closing tight.

Have only adjusted the threaded latch one turn in since new. That was about 2 week after I started burning 24/7, 2 years ago.

To test;
I get a hot fire, then close it down & look for air leaks. I can see cool flames where the door gasket leaks :)
(the $20 bill test got expensive on a stove thats running most of the time. LOL :) :) )

Partly yes, but several areas the glue has let go. Top still holding well & the hinge side.
When I pulled on the bottom it came out & I could see dried white glue spots on the metal.
Every time I fluff it (the gasket), the door latch has more friction & fells like it is closing tight.

Have only adjusted the threaded latch one turn in since new. That was about 2 week after I started burning 24/7, 2 years ago.

To test;
I get a hot fire, then close it down & look for air leaks. I can see cool flames where the door gasket leaks :)
(the $20 bill test got expensive on a stove thats running most of the time. LOL :) :) )

lol

I should look at my gasket better but I don't think there was any dried glue the few spots it came out..but I will look better.

Yeah it does help "fluffing" it out now and then.
I was getting a little flame with the t-stat closed that I did not get before.
After fluffing it was fine.
Good tip on looking for cool flames.
And like you say adjust the latch prolly does nothing much for the hinge side.

Door gasket info from the BK Ultra manual:

1BK door gasket.jpg

Reactions: Mitch Newton
so you should use a one piece gasket made for the stove?

The nut can't even go that far on my latch, its jammed about 1/2" from the end of the threads. Gasket is fine.

I might just leave it loose till summer. I'm not letting the house go cold because of a latch!

Wonder if the door gasket is low or high density gasket? I'll probably replace mine every other year, I don't think they last much longer than that if your burning 24/7.

I broke mine as well. With a full load of wood! Needless to say I made one REAL fast! I used a 3/8 x1 1/2" all thread bolt, cut the head off and welded a piece of 3/8 dowel rod to it. It worked better than the factory one but BK sent me one anyhow. I wish it was a fine thread bolt as well, and yes you can use a thin nut (available at lowes if you prefer to buy) to allow one more turn before gasket replacement. I am using a factory bent stud unit now, but I still know exactly where my homemade one lies, if I had spent the time to make it prettier I would be using it!

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.