Broken Soapstones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

craigers1950

Oct 6, 2023
Missouri
Hello!

I recently took apart my Hearthstone II and some of the stone have broke. One is broken and three places another is broken in half. I am having a difficult time finding someone who sells soapstone. Could limestone or granite be used as a replacement? Thanks!

371238808_283609731261789_7937276267934853443_n.jpg 387521032_862421588543281_8425045210768896360_n.jpg

Find a local yard that sells soapstone for soapstone countertops. If none, these folks may cut up some pieces for you.

Last edited:
Hello!

I recently took apart my Hearthstone II and some of the stone have broke. One is broken and three places another is broken in half. I am having a difficult time finding someone who sells soapstone. Could limestone or granite be used as a replacement? Thanks!

View attachment 316325 View attachment 316326
Hearthstone still sells lots of replacement parts, including stones, for many of their older models.

1. Visit https://hearthstonetech.com/products/ and scroll down to find your model stove
2. There's lots of technical bulletins, illustrated parts list, and manuals to be found
3. Find the part number(s) for the broken stones
4. Visit https://hearthstoneparts.com/ or cozycabin.net/.com or any other authorized Hearthstone parts dealer
5. Search for your part number. With luck, it will still be available.

Top stones for the HII are something like $184 ea. I can't imagine shipping will be cheap, but you may be able to get your stove going for a few hundred bucks. Look also on the hearthstonetech.com site for stone replacement instructions for your stove. There's instructions for my Phoenix. You may also need some gasket material, cement, etc.

Good luck!

Nice tip thanks! Note that some of the stones for the HII are sold in sets, so the $184 could be for 3 or 4 stones depending on the location. If these are for the side door side, if looks like they are about $104 apiece.