Broken switch on table saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looking at the listing, the rated amperage is quite low for your intended use. Most saws draw much higher starting amperage than the rating.
These are typically dual pole though so you can wire in parallel to spread the current across both sets of contacts.

Yeah I won't use a table saw without a switch I can shut off easily with my knee. I was a professional cabinet maker for years and if you feel it binding you want to be able to kill the saw quick without letting go of the work peice.
What he said . If both hands on the work not in the blade

Is this stock on these saws, or mods?
Saws come with this switch

Stock See delta table saw web page
http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/table-saws
Evert saw has a BIG RED BUTTON
Thanks johneh. Clearly the newer models have much more attention to safety that my older model.

Do any of yours have that feature where it stops instantly when it "feels" flesh? I suspect eventually they'll all have that. Won't be cheap, but they'll be less scary.

I do not know the particular mechanics of the saw stop units , I do know what the blades look like after an engagement of same- not pretty but better than losing body parts.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I do not know the particular mechanics of the saw stop units , I do know what the blades look like after an engagement of same- not pretty but better than losing body parts.
Sounds like you are an expert on all things blades, blades!

Mom lost a finger on the farm when she was in her 20s, Dad, one knuckle. There's a psychological loss that goes along with the physical one. Way better to lose the whole saw than even one inch.

Do any of yours have that feature where it stops instantly when it "feels" flesh? I suspect eventually they'll all have that. Won't be cheap, but they'll be less scary.
Tried the unit when the first came out works very well but destroys the blade .
They also sense soft spots (rot) in reclaimed lumber as flash destroyed a 900 dollar
special order rip blade made to do reclaimed lumber . did not take long for the unit
to hit the garbage

Tried the unit when the first came out works very well but destroys the blade .
They also sense soft spots (rot) in reclaimed lumber as flash destroyed a 900 dollar
special order rip blade made to do reclaimed lumber . did not take long for the unit
to hit the garbage
Interesting story. Sorry to hear about the lo$$. That must have been a special blade for $900. What does that blade do in reclaimed lumber vs. a good standard carbide tipped ripping blade?

Interesting story. Sorry to hear about the lo$$. That must have been a special blade for $900. What does that blade do in reclaimed lumber vs. a good standard carbide tipped ripping blade?

The blade is of carbon steel with a 1/4 in kerf
It can handle stones ,sand and furious metal
with out getting dull on the first cut . only used
for reclaimed wood and logs . The material I was cutting
made tables for a new Pub in Franktown Ontario
Pub now long gone don't know what happened to the tables
I also built the bar

All three of my saws have a slap shut off switch . All Delta saws
5 horse Unisaw --1 horse contractor saw and portable saw on wheel stand
Not a flip switch in sight just BIG RED OFF BUTTONS
Safety First
Sounds like nice saws, mine was a harbor freight saw that dad had from many years ago, he gave me it when the switch burned out said it's mine if I want to fix it. No fancy red buttons. Not sure how I could hit a safety switch with a knee on a bench top saw anyhow.

Sounds like nice saws, mine was a harbor freight saw that dad had from many years ago, he gave me it when the switch burned out said it's mine if I want to fix it. No fancy red buttons. Not sure how I could hit a safety switch with a knee on a bench top saw anyhow.
Mount it to the bench. Like i said i have spent enough time behind a saw to know there are times you want to be able to kill it with no hands. I also really liked the 2 saw stop saws i have worked on i only had one go off and that was from metal. And we used lots of salvaged material.

Bosch now has a safety system that does not destroy the blade. But they dont have any cabinet saws.