Broom for woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ive searched everywhere. Cant find any good info. What kind/type/material of broom do you use for sweeping the coals when they fall out of the stove and onto the hearth?

The one I have just melts the whiskers the second it touches anything hot :eek:

As a kid my parents had a tall round 'wicked witch of the west' style straw broom, but I want a small hand-held broom with a dust pan that's easy to maneuver.

I know I can let the coals cool before I sweep them but that's not always possible with the Missus saying, "Sweep those coals up it looks like a pigsty in here."

Im not asking because Im afraid of her, but Ive been known to lie.

Coals falling out of the stove? How often do you experience this? I have a small plastic whisk broom/pan that I use for sweeping the residue from splits that are set on the hearth while loading. I sweep the ash lip with it at the same time. Works great. I would not use it for live coals however! Guessing you could get a steel version that would fit the bill?

I use my little metal ash scoop for anything remotely glowing or smoldering and a regular dust broom/pan for ash dust. Id be concerned "sweeping" up any embers whatsoever. I'd worry one gets caught up in the bristles and catches fire after its hung up or put away, probably around 1am when everyone is asleep no doubt.

Welders gloves
Corn broom
Hand forged fork
Garden trowel
Dust pan

That's about it for most everything, including for once in a great while an ember lands on the tile. I also grow broom corn, but never have gotten around to making anything from it. The stuff grows thick and over 12ft, so it's more of a conversation point than anything.

Attachments

• 0307191623.jpg
    0307191623.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 313
My most effective tool around the wood stove is a 4" wide putty knife and an ash shovel . The putty knife will pull all coals, ash, etc in to a pile then push it onto an ash shovel. After all coals are removed then I use a small wisk broom. Any kind of bristled broom could hold a coal and left to smolder into a fire.

I always wear long welders' gloves when loading the stove. If coals fall out, pick 'em up and toss 'em back in. You can pick up red-hot flaming stuff without feeling it.

You can reach right in and pick up flaming splits to reposition them, even. Most handy.

Last edited:
Another vote for welder's gloves. $5 at menards.