Brown Rats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Thought I had a mouse problem. I've had a visual and its a Noway rat (brown rat).

Last week I tightened up to restrict food supply (thought it was mice then). Unnscrewed floor under the kitchen sink and cleaned out a rat luxury suite. Blocked up all entrances I could find with spray foam.

Today the cat drew blood, but he got away. Had another sighting two hours later. Dog almost got him, but failed.

Been sick with flu and today is the day to finally get him. Plan is to do another clean out. Use steel wool instead of spray foam to block holes and set more traps than I think I need since I only know of one, but obviously there could be more. Will trap areas I think he's going plus basement.

Any advice on type of trap or other method is appreciated.

Snap traps (rat size) are good, as is the Rat Zapper. It's a little pricey, but I've had good results with mice and chipmunks.
http://www.ratmousezapper.com/

Use a variety of traps and change the locations. You must be very aggressive. If you have any indication of more than one rat ( if you catch 2 or catch one and hear noises or find sign), you need to assume they're breeding. After you stop catching them in traps, put out some poison but tie it down, they will move it into your couch, closet etc.. I killed 8 with Tom Cat after I was sure they were all trapped.

Ehouse

RatZapper is worth the $ IMHO... we had an influx of Florida fruit rats that the Zapper cleaned out entirely.

I've killed many a mouse, basement chipmunks, and attic squirrels with the Rat Zapper. Thing works quite well, though animals like chipmunks wise up pretty quickly. If only it would empty itself and keep killing them. Definitely need to combo them with snap traps, pellet gun, and even poison.

also, this time of year, sprinkle some crushed up styrofoam or insualtion around the trap. Sometimes rats are pretty leery of them, but will never turn down free nesting materials.

Caution. Do not place Zapper where small children or pets can get at it. I accidently touched the inside plate while rearranging the bait....just about knocked me right on my frickin' arse! much more kick than livestock fence. Hard to believe those small batts can do that.

I tried trapping a rat at work for months using peanut butter, finally used raw, marinated chicken and got him the first night!

Man, I've seen some big rats. I think I'd set some Coni 110s along with the rat traps. Maybe a 1.5 foothold would be fun to try.

I haven't tried it against Norway rats, but peanut butter and bacon bits works well on mice and I've crimped dried corn in rat traps for red squirrels.

Since they are inside I don't think a pellet gun is an option, but it really is satisfying to pick them off.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.