BTU calculator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
If my stove is rated with a heat output of 10,000 to 36,000 per hr, a 2,221 square feet home, what calculator would you recommend to see how cold it would have to get where the stove would need help. Also is the calculator results per hour?

There are many factors that go into a heat loss calculation. Fill in what you can in the light blue boxes in this calculator and see what comes up. For an old house like ours with too much glazing, I'm estimating it would be around 20ºF.

Are you defining help as when to run both Regencies? Is this for the F3500? If so, it can do higher than that per hour when pushed a little.

Last edited:
Yes you got it. I’m running the F3500 primarily and looking for numbers when to run both. This is what happens when I have time on my hands and I’m geeking out.

Reactions: Woody Stover
What’s confusing me is all the calculators online show results of 88,000 to 111,000, the F3500 is 36,000 BTU hr. I know with outside temps in the 20sF it has no problem heating the house. Can’t be that 88,000 to 111,000 BTU is per hour.

What’s confusing me is all the calculators online show results of 88,000 to 111,000, the F3500 is 36,000 BTU hr. I know with outside temps in the 20sF it has no problem heating the house. Can’t be that 88,000 to 111,000 BTU is per hour.
I ran the numbers for our 2000 sq ft house at 20º and came up with around 39K BTUs/hr which sounds about right, if the wind is not blowing.

If it ever got down to zero here (never has) then we would be underheated for sure, even with the T6 cranking its heart out. Up where you are that is not uncommon, right?

Last year we hit a windy 2 degrees and I ran both stoves, but stupidly ran both completely full but low and it was chilly in the house. I should have opened them up. Was trying to see how both would do on low.

Your 88,000 per hour capable furnace is outputting that 88,000 per hour intermittently. Rarely would it be tasked with staying "on" for a whole hour even though it is capable of it if the J load was calculated correctly. Although I've seen homes with gas furnaces that were a little undersized by builders to keep the price down and gambling on rare cold weather. AT least with a wood stove you can all hole up in the stove room.

Last edited:
If it ever got down to zero here (never has) then we would be underheated for sure, even with the T6 cranking its heart out. Up where you are that is not uncommon, right?
In the winter teens and 20s is common temps, we usual get several days that could hit single digits, we have hit 0 and slightly below. Thank you for the calculator love it, was taking all the measurements has my wife is looking at me saying only you why am I not surprised . In the single digits to 0 I would definitely need to run both stoves full throttle, I was coming up with 64,000 btu at 0. Again thank you.

Your 88,000 per hour capable furnace is outputting that 88,000 per hour intermittently. Rarely would it be tasked with staying "on" for a whole hour even though it is capable of it if the J load was calculated correctly. Although I've seen homes with gas furnaces that were a little undersized by builders to keep the price down and gambling on rare cold weather. AT least with a wood stove you can all hole up in the stove room.
Thank you for the explanation.