BTU for Quadra-Fire 1100-I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm looking to replace my old insert (1995 model), It's been good to me for 10 years. I'm looking at a new Classic Bay 1200i or P35i, both look small compared to my current stove but have a lot of BTUs. My old stove has great heat so I just want to make sure I at least get the same amount of heat without going overboard. I have 1 floor to heat and its just over 1,200 sf. I have read that you should buy the biggest you can afford when it comes to stoves and the 2 I'm looking at there is only $700 difference plus the cost of a new 4 inch pipe it I go with the P35I.

If your pipe is from the 90s replace it either way. We sold over 800 1200s but we stopped carrying them because quad was cutting corners on them and they were becoming a problem stove. We now push the P35i in its place. It won’t burn as clean as your quad, but it will run like a champ and heat just as well. Harman’s are definitely built more solidly than quads, although I like the way quads burn better when they are acting right.

I've only had it for 10 years, bought it at a yard sale for $300. Never had a pellet stove and I got lucky the shroud fit my fire place. When I got it I replaced all gaskets and painted it and it looks like new but parts are getting expensive and I think its time to upgrade.

I’d do that and pain some sheet metal black to cover what the shroud doesn’t cover. You can also buy an oversized shroud for those.

I though about that but the stove looked to small and I didn't think it heat my house as well as my old stove did. That is why I was asking what the BTUs were on my 1100i was.

Hello
The Harman Accentra Inserts were built much stronger than the new P35i stoves and a good used one would be an Excellent purchase! IMHO :)

Hello
The Harman Accentra Inserts were built much stronger than the new P35i stoves and a good used one would be an Excellent purchase! IMHO :)
I was looking at them but (here we go again) I was thinking it was to big, no sooner turn on and the room would heat up very fast and shut down before the heat gets out of the room.

I was looking at them but (here we go again) I was thinking it was to big, no sooner turn on and the room would heat up very fast and shut down before the heat gets out of the room.
If you run the stove in “Stove Temp” mode the it will stay on.
Or
You can extend the room probe to the room you want to control the temp in “Room Temp Mode”
My Harman is down in the basement and I extended the room probe to up here in the living room so my living room stays at the temp I set it too. :)

When i first joined i asked about a stove in my basement and got a no way because of my concrete floor and stone walls. Think i'm going with the p35i. Need to do more research about "stove temp and room temp mode" before I do anything else.

My son-in-law is a wielder so i'm going to ask him for some sheet metal to cover what the small shroud does not cover. Must be my lucky day. Now back to how I'm going to use my chimney for exhaust and air intake. There are some very interesting topics on OAK here just need to fine the one that is right for me.

Reactions: kappel15
There are some very interesting topics on OAK here just need to fine the one that is right for me.
Anytime I give my opinion on oaks on here I get tackled. There are some very smart people on here who own a pellet stove who say your dumb not to. I’m not sure how many of them have very much experience in the field, but I’m sure some of them are qualified. The same could be said for the folks who argue that its often unnecessary. My company puts in a couple hundred units per year and we do maybe a half dozen oaks a year. Pick your poison.

Anytime I give my opinion on oaks on here I get tackled. There are some very smart people on here who own a pellet stove who say your dumb not to. I’m not sure how many of them have very much experience in the field, but I’m sure some of them are qualified. The same could be said for the folks who argue that its often unnecessary. My company puts in a couple hundred units per year and we do maybe a half dozen oaks a year. Pick your poison.
I know what your saying, been reading most of the evening about OAK for inserts. I would like to have one only because I did have a pipe freeze and burst a few years back. I had a small crack under one of my baseboard pipes and my stove would pull air through that crack every time it ran. I fixed the crack but where will the air come from now? Now when it gets to the single digits or low I use my boiler, oil is cheaper then a plumber coming out to fix a pipe.
Still I would like to thank you for your help.

I’d do that and pain some sheet metal black to cover what the shroud doesn’t cover. You can also buy an oversized shroud for those.
My 1100i died, just got an p35i with the small shroud. Problem fixed, reused the 1100i shroud.

Attachments

• New shroud.jpg
    New shroud.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 139
  • P35i.jpg
    P35i.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: VintageGal